• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
avorpalbunny

How much C++ is enough?

This topic is 3974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im learning C++ along with a few other programs. Primarily I am an artist/graphic designer, but I think it would be awesome to be able to put my artwork to work myself. I have studied alot of basics such as variables, functions, and classes, and im wondering when exactly do I have a good enough base studied in C++ to start branching off into game specifics. I have game specific C++ books (which are very tempting to just pick up instead of this generic C++ book) that I haven't touched because I wanted to get a good foundation in C++ first. I am pretty much clueless on the differences between using C++ for generic programs and gaming so anyone want to offer advice on what I should be able to do before I branch off? I know theres no real set (here is where you should stop learning C++), but I'd just like a general idea of how far I should go so I am not totally lost. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
If you want to start programming graphics you should cover everything in whatever C++ book you are using to learn. i.e. pointers, basic data structures, templates, etc. Beyond that, you'll then want to learn some graphics API like SDL, OpenGL or DirectX.

That's of course if you want to program the engine itself. Alternitively, you could just pick up a moddable engine (Half-Life source, Crysis, C&C3, whatever). Then you can get your art into a game without having to program much of anything at all.

-me

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
If you want to start programming graphics you should cover everything in whatever C++ book you are using to learn. i.e. pointers, basic data structures, templates, etc. Beyond that, you'll then want to learn some graphics API like SDL, OpenGL or DirectX.

That's of course if you want to program the engine itself. Alternitively, you could just pick up a moddable engine (Half-Life source, Crysis, C&C3, whatever). Then you can get your art into a game without having to program much of anything at all.

-me

i don't get how this part works really, if I grab an engine I can basically make all my own 3d models/export them and import them into the engine to use as game assets? Sorry if I am over simplifying it too much.

Quote:
Original post by avorpalbunny
Quote:
Original post by Palidine

i don't get how this part works really, if I grab an engine I can basically make all my own 3d models/export them and import them into the engine to use as game assets? Sorry if I am over simplifying it too much.

That is how it is supposed to work. In reality it sometimes does, and sometimes doesn't - asset modding like that can get you a long way, but it is hard usually to make any significant changes the game mechanics without modifying the source code in some way.

However, modern engines are increasingly scriptable, and with such an engine and a good handle on scripting, you should be able to do pretty much whatever you want without ever touching the low-level (i.e. C++) source code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!