• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Arbitrary key combinations & WM_CHAR [Solved]

This topic is 3767 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to get a rather spiffy keyboard input idea working. My problem is that when I press CTRL+G for instance i recieve all the WM_KEYDOWN, WM_CHAR and WM_KEYUP messages but the value of the wParam in the WM_CHAR message is ^g which is a ASCII control code and makes a beep sound when printed to the console. I would like the WM_CHAR to somehow just report the char and not the CTRL+char combo. Since I don't know what type of keyboard the player is using I can't make many assumptions on what a WM_KEYDOWN message means, except for keys like ESC or F1. E.g. US keyboards dont have åäö like Swedish ones and these get translated by Windows for me. I need a way of doing ctrl, alt or shift combos without messing up WM_CHAR or making windows beep/(play notify sounds E.g. alt+some key) so that I can rely on the value of WM_CHAR for accurate representation. This was my solution to the problem:
MSG msg;
while( GetMessage( &msg, 0, 0, 0 ) )
{
    // NOTE: this will effectively cancel the effect CTRL has on TranslateMessage  
    // when translating WM_KEYDOWN to WM_CHAR. It's not perfect but it works!
    switch( msg.message )
    {
    case WM_KEYDOWN:
        if( msg.wParam == VK_CONTROL )
        {
            static BYTE keystate[0x100];
            if( GetKeyState(VK_CONTROL) )
            {
                GetKeyboardState( keystate );
                keystate[VK_CONTROL] = 0;
                SetKeyboardState( keystate );
            }
        }
        break;
    }

TranslateMessage( &msg );
    DispatchMessage( &msg );
}
I did however add a small pice of code in my Wnd procedure to prevent alt+some_key combos from triggering the Windows notification ding! by just adding this case.
case WM_SYSCOMMAND:
    {
        switch( wParam & 0xFFF0 )
        {
        case SC_KEYMENU:        // Process, but do nothing 
            return 0;           // (prevents Windows notification ding!)
        }
    }
    break;
NOTE: If you do this you'll run into another problem, and that is that a AltGr combo (which is essential to many key combinations when typing) will not work. I've finally got to the MapVirtualKey( wParam, 2 ) function, which will return the a character representation for almost any key stroke and that it is perfect for this. Hope this helps a lot. [Edited by - leidegren on November 3, 2007 3:09:48 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement