• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
leidegren

Arbitrary key combinations & WM_CHAR [Solved]

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to get a rather spiffy keyboard input idea working. My problem is that when I press CTRL+G for instance i recieve all the WM_KEYDOWN, WM_CHAR and WM_KEYUP messages but the value of the wParam in the WM_CHAR message is ^g which is a ASCII control code and makes a beep sound when printed to the console. I would like the WM_CHAR to somehow just report the char and not the CTRL+char combo. Since I don't know what type of keyboard the player is using I can't make many assumptions on what a WM_KEYDOWN message means, except for keys like ESC or F1. E.g. US keyboards dont have åäö like Swedish ones and these get translated by Windows for me. I need a way of doing ctrl, alt or shift combos without messing up WM_CHAR or making windows beep/(play notify sounds E.g. alt+some key) so that I can rely on the value of WM_CHAR for accurate representation. This was my solution to the problem:
MSG msg;
while( GetMessage( &msg, 0, 0, 0 ) )
{
    // NOTE: this will effectively cancel the effect CTRL has on TranslateMessage  
    // when translating WM_KEYDOWN to WM_CHAR. It's not perfect but it works!
    switch( msg.message )
    {
    case WM_KEYDOWN:
        if( msg.wParam == VK_CONTROL )
        {
            static BYTE keystate[0x100];
            if( GetKeyState(VK_CONTROL) )
            {
                GetKeyboardState( keystate );
                keystate[VK_CONTROL] = 0;
                SetKeyboardState( keystate );
            }
        }
        break;
    }

TranslateMessage( &msg );
    DispatchMessage( &msg );
}
I did however add a small pice of code in my Wnd procedure to prevent alt+some_key combos from triggering the Windows notification ding! by just adding this case.
case WM_SYSCOMMAND:
    {
        switch( wParam & 0xFFF0 )
        {
        case SC_KEYMENU:        // Process, but do nothing 
            return 0;           // (prevents Windows notification ding!)
        }
    }
    break;
NOTE: If you do this you'll run into another problem, and that is that a AltGr combo (which is essential to many key combinations when typing) will not work. I've finally got to the MapVirtualKey( wParam, 2 ) function, which will return the a character representation for almost any key stroke and that it is perfect for this. Hope this helps a lot. [Edited by - leidegren on November 3, 2007 3:09:48 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!