• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Azzazelus_13

Loading issues

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im working with DirectX.. I was wondering how to increase loading times working with .x files. I was thinking to make a low poli version of the model file and a low texture file to be loaded for objects that are to a big distance form the camera. Then with a thread to load them as the camera moves towards. After that ill use progressive mesh if the camera moves backwards again until the objects are extremly far and then unload the hig_res form the memory again and replace it with the low version (with a low priority thread). Its this a good idea? Any sugestion for decrease loading time of resources ?

Advertisement
I don't think you should be loading and unloading meshes as they come in and out of your view frustrum. I would suggest that you determine which meshes you require for the current scene, load them into your program memory, and then deallocate the memory when the current scene ends if the meshes aren't utilized in the next scene (ie level changes). Computers nowadays have plenty of memory - the average computer probably has 1GB of system memory and, with a dedicated graphics unit, potentially anywhere from 64-1024MB of dedicated GPU memory: I don't think you'll end up running out of memory rendering meshes in one given scene (provided you aren't rendering millions of different million-polygon meshes).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!