What GUI Library?

Started by
5 comments, last by AgentX 16 years, 5 months ago
I am currently working on a strategy game using the Allegro library. I am almost done creating the menus, but I am not satisfied with the result. The code seems a bit clunky (500+ lines already) for just some menus. What GUI library/libraries do you guys recommend? I know there are several to choose from, but I need something that is geared toward the beginning game designer and is platform independent.
Advertisement
BTW, 500 lines isn't that much. My UI library is nowhere near done and its at like 10k lines.
500+ lines seems like a lot for one splash screen and 7 menu/sub-menu screens. Did I mention I am a newbie and the game is gonna be pretty basic. Its a learning project for me.
It's good that you are aware of the line count but I wouldn't infer too much from it - more lines does not necessarily mean "bad" code. If you think your code is poorly designed, of course, that is another issue entirely.

Rather than attempt to use another library, consider using Allegro for a bit longer; as you spend more time working with it you will be in a better position to judge whether or not the "clunkiness" is the result of the library or just inexperience.
Thanks for the input Digital_Soul. I don't think I worded my question very clearly. I am using Allegro and will continue to do so for this game. But I don't see any GUI routines in Allegro (at least none that the documentation "dumbs down" for my level). So I was going to use gtk+ or wxWidgets or qwt for the game menus (because I don't think mine routines are coded very well). But I wanted to get some experienced input before I jump into it.
http://guichan.sourceforge.net/
DrEvil, my friend, you are the shizz-nit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement