• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio 2008 Beta

This topic is 3729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone download this and try it out? Opinions? I'm thinking about installing it and trying it but I hate that it expires...

Advertisement
I tried installing it about a month ago. It took a very long time to install everything. When my computer restarted, it wouldn't log back into Windows. I spent a good eight hours trying to undo whatever it did. I did everything from System Restore to trying to install a fresh copy of Window. In the end I had to format my drive. I never actually got to try it though :-(

I downloaded the express versions and yes it says it expires after like 180 days
Only big difference I've noticed is that there is now WPF templates for new projects now.
Otherwise the IDE pretty much looks the same and still not code snippets for C++ and I did notice \wp64 switch give deprecated warning now.
Acutally it does seem to load a bit faster than VS2005 but I'm running it via a virtual machine so that's a pretty subjective thing.

p.s. Oh and the biggest change will be noted by hopefully a reduction in the amount of newbies posting the same question about why they can't develop windows apps with express without having to download the windows sdk since you can program win32 apps from the start now with express versions:

Included in both C# and VB Express, the WPF designer allows you to build either WPF Windows Applications or WPF Browser applications in much the same way you create Windows Forms today by dragging controls onto your designer surface, editing XAML attributes in the properties window, and enabling an instant preview of your application when you edit XAML in split design/code view. With Visual C++ Express 2008, we have added support for Win32 development right out of the box. No more large download or IDE tinkering is required in order to build native Windows applications.

[Edited by - daviangel on November 3, 2007 3:50:41 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement