• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
polaris2013

Mapping Resources (win32 api)

This topic is 3885 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make a treeview dialog and I'm using this MSDN entry to guide me: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb773409.aspx I drew out a dialog box that has a treeview on the left side in ResEd and now I've imported that resource file to my project. The problem is that the code and resource do not agree on the coordinate system. In my resource file, this is what the treeview looks like:
CONTROL "",IDC_TRV1,"SysTreeView32",0x50010003,8,7,112,183,0x00000200
I create the treeview like this:
    hwndTV = CreateWindowEx(0,
                            WC_TREEVIEW,
                            "Tree View",
                            WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | TVS_HASLINES, 
                            8, 7, 112, 183, //retrieved from dialogs.rc
                            hwndParent, 
                            (HMENU)IDD_DLGMANAGER, 
                            g_hInst, 
                            NULL); 
My treeview is much smaller then the one that I made with ResEd, and it's in the wrong place. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement
OK, thank you, that is helpful.

Now I'm using MapDialogRect() to convert the resource coordinates to screen coordinates. But it's still wrong on-screen.

The MSDN note for MapDialogRect() says that only handles from "one of the dialog box creation functions" are valid. But I don't have that handle until after I create the treeview with CreateWindowEx(), right?? And I need the result from MapDialogRect() in order to call CreateWindowEx(). Which is a paradox.

Currently I'm initializing the treeview in the dialog's message handler under the case WM_INITDIALOG and using the handle (hwnd) provided to the message handler. But I assume this is the wrong handle (hwnd) due to the MSDN note. I don't see anything else to do, though.

In case what I just said didn't make any sense, here are some code snippets:

BOOL CALLBACK DlgManagerProc(HWND hwnd, UINT Message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
switch(Message)
{
case WM_INITDIALOG:
//anything that needs to be done once dialog is visible
HWND tree;
tree = CreateATreeView(hwnd);
AddItemToTreeView(tree, "Sample Folder", 1);
AddItemToTreeView(tree, "Sample Item", 2);
return TRUE;
//..........
}
return TRUE;
}

HWND CreateATreeView(HWND hwndParent)
{
HWND hwndTV; // handle to tree-view control
RECT rcTree; // treeview box

// MSDN: Ensure that the common control DLL is loaded.
// InitCommonControls(); //obsolete, see InitCommonControlEx() if necessary
rcTree.top = 8;
rcTree.left = 7;
rcTree.bottom = 183;
rcTree.right = 112;
MapDialogRect(hwndParent, &rcTree);
//int width = rcTree.right - rcTree.left;
//int height = rcTree.bottom - rcTree.top;

// Create the tree-view control.
hwndTV = CreateWindowEx(0,//WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE,
WC_TREEVIEW,
"Tree View",
WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | TVS_HASLINES | TVS_HASBUTTONS | TVS_LINESATROOT | TVS_NOHSCROLL,
rcTree.left, rcTree.top, rcTree.right, rcTree.bottom,
hwndParent,
(HMENU)IDD_DLGMANAGER,
g_hInst,
NULL);

return hwndTV;
}

[the functions CreateATreeView() and AddItemToTreeView() are substantially similar to the ones in the MSDN article I cited in my first post]
edit: removed code comments from MSDN that no longer apply after my modifications, fixed spacing
edit again: nevermind, I seem to have fixed it. Got confused on the left/rights and widths apparently. THANKS!!!!! :)

[Edited by - polaris2013 on November 3, 2007 9:31:08 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!