• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gbook2

OpenGL reduced colors in GLSL fragment shader

This topic is 3886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to do some operations on a 16-bit texture in a fragment shader, but the resulting colors are all wrong. The data I'm working with is 12 bit, and I've been using a multiplier to bring the data to the range of a 16-bit number. That method has worked fine in regular OpenGL before trying it in the shader, and the colors all look correct (shades of gray). In the shader, I use the same multiplier, but the number of resulting colors are reduced... instead of 256 shades of gray I get about 8. Here's the shader code: ---------------- uniform sampler2D theTexture; void main() { float mult; mult = 65535.0/4095.0; vec3 color = vec3(texture2D(theTexture, gl_TexCoord[0].st))*mult; gl_FragColor = vec4(color, 1.0); } ----------------- How are textures represented in shaders? What format does gl_FragColor take? Is it 0 to 1 or some other range? or is the range based on the current texture datatype such as GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT? -Greg

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!