• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Iced_Eagle

Integrate GCC with VStudio 2005?

This topic is 3912 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, Does anyone have any ideas on how to integrate GCC to use as my compiler, and then use VStudio simply as my IDE? My school requires us to make the programs work with GCC (with -Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic switches if you're familiar with those which means it follows the ANSI C standard explicitly). As much as I love using the windows command prompt, and using Crimson Editor, it's time for an upgrade! Seriously, it's frustrating to work in Crimson Editor because as far as I can tell, it has no debugger, and no built-in compiler support or whatever. It's solely our text editor pretty much. If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome. Google didn't turn up much help other than comments of "Why would you want to use GCC with VStudio?" which aren't helpful. Thanks! ~Brian

Advertisement
Your best bet may be to do everything with Visual Studio so that you get the benefits of its IDE and debugger, and then compile again with gcc to make sure it works. gcc doesn't seem able to generate debugging symbols in a format that Visual Studio understands, so you'll likely never be able to get source-level debugging in VS with gcc-compiled apps.

Of course if you only want VS as an IDE without any other support, try creating a makefile project in VS.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!