• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PhoeNix_FaST

Which Library for C#

This topic is 4004 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, im programming C# for 1 year now and started interesting in game programming. I'd like to use a (or more than 1) library(s) but i really cant decide because i don't know them. Which library(s) would you recommend for beginners ? What i need is : - An easy to understand library - no need cross platform, it has to run on windows - has to support C# - popular :)

Advertisement
I'd recommend SDL.NET (the website acts a bit weird sometimes, but just refresh and it should work), or if you want something done in 3D go for Irrlicht (the .NET version).

If you want the .NET version of SDL that's a bit more lower than SDL.NET you should try out the Tao Framework, however I doubt that you want that since the documentation is quite limited, and if you want to make a game you'd be much better off using the game-oriented SDL.NET.

Might as well check out the XNA Framework (creators.xna.com). It's very popular (there's quite a forum over at the Creator's site as well). It's also easy to use, quite powerful, and, for $99 a year, let's you run your games on your retail Xbox 360 which is always nice. It certainly makes your life easier than using SDL.NET with Tao (which I've done) particularly because XNA includes so many helpful classes to make it easy to render models, use render targets, content management, and more.

There is also OpenTK which is a bit higher level than Tao - closer to Managed OpenGL if you will.

You lose many of the helper libraries bundled with XNA (model and texture loaders mostly), but you gain the ability to distribute your program on all major platforms (without even recompiling!)

Shameless self-promotion, I know... :)

Another point would be :

- Easy to load Maps

IrrlichCP.NET just got like:

scene.LoadScene("C:/testirr");

to load a map. That quite easy, what about your recommend libs ?

Quote:
Original post by PhoeNix_FaST
- Easy to load Maps

is incompatible with:

Quote:
Original post by PhoeNix_FaST
- An easy to understand library

if only because libraries do not load maps - engines do. Irrlicht is a graphics engine, thus provides higher level functionality. If you need such functionality (and don't want to write it yourself) by all means use Irrlicht, it's both powerful and easy to use.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!