• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game Institute

This topic is 3723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just decided to quit my education in economics and go for computer science instead. However, I've got about 10 months to spend on something useful (CS classes start in september). Therefore I figured that I might want to take some online courses and I stumbled upon Game Institute. What are your experiences with it? Is it any good at all? At the moment I know some C# (made Pong! in XNA, but that's about it). In addition to that I know some mathematics (some mathematical analysis and linear algebra, but no big deal). Which courses do you recommend that I take? Thanks in advance, C

Advertisement
I am skeptical of online courses to start with, and even more so of game development programs. Go for the CS degree, and doing the gaming on the side that way you have something real to fall back on.

As far as courses, you can never get enough math.
Also Physics is good. Especially for gaming.
If you need to take an elective, take Logic (in philosophy) it is great for becoming a programmer.

Good luck with your education.

Game Institute is not to bad. I took a few classes back in 2002 when they first started. They provide you with all the resources for the class (minus a compiler), plus there are downloadable lectures. You will have access to the course material long after the class is over. However, it is an actual class. You will not have access to the message boards etc... after your time block has expired. In all the quality was pretty good from what I remember.

If you are just looking for something to work on over the next 10 months, I recommend you pick up a good book and start from there. Sense you are already familiar with C# and XNA pick a project that you think you can complete in 10 months and go for it... have fun.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement