• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Using Pix

This topic is 3851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone provide a link, or maybe give a few details on how they use this program to debug D3D apps? Having just recently discovered the program (recommended by someone to help debugging), I played around with it a bit. I can see how it would be a useful tool, but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking at. One option saved a massive file, another gave me a list of all the D3D calls. Pretty cool, but what does it do for me? How do I best use this tool? What is your typical workflow when using Pix to debug an app?

Advertisement
The tutorials in the SDK really do a pretty good job of going over most of your basic tasks. I mainly use PIX for debugging shaders, by doing a single frame capture. If its a vertex shader issue, I'll find the DrawPrimitive call and then step through the shader for a particular vertex. If its a pixel shader issue, I'll find the surface that the pixel was written to and then step through that shader.

See this tutorial:

http://blogs.msdn.com/manders/archive/2006/12/15/a-painless-introduction-to-pix-for-windows.aspx

It explains how to use PIX for GPU debugging.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!