[.net] sizeof a managed struct/class

Started by
5 comments, last by taumuon 16 years, 5 months ago
Alright for some I can't do the following in C#. ManagedEventArgs d = new ManagedEventArgs(); d.ID = ID; d.value = 3; IntPtr pManPtr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(sizeof(d)); Marshal.StructureToPtr(d, pManPtr, true); I bolded the problem code. ManagedEventArgs is a struct define in Managed C++ and included into my c# project. I have no problem creating an instance of it, but as soon as I try to get the size of it I get: " error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'd' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) " any idea why?? [EDIT] also, i can use Marshal.Sizeof(); but I get a runtime exception. "Type 'Controller.ManagedEventArgs' cannot be marshaled as an unmanaged structure; no meaningful size or offset can be computed."
.max
Advertisement
What does ManagedEventArgs look like? This isn't C++, you can't just compute the size of any old object. Chances are, ManagedEventArgs is defined in such a way that it cannot be automatically marshalled like that.
nothing special, at least that I know of.

public ref struct ManagedEventArgs
{
int ID;
int value;
};
.max
sizeof can only be used on value types not reference types. You made yours; public ref struct ManagedEventArgs, into a reference type.

At least I think that is it, can't test it right now.

theTroll
Add a StructLayout aatribute to your ManagedEventArgs and see what happens.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
alright, great, that worked, theTroll. thanks. though now it throws an exception when i try to convert the pointer back to a structure using Marshal.PtrToStructure(); saying that it requires the structure to "not be a value class" is there something similar to & that i could use to pass the reference?

heres the code

ManagedEventArgs args = new ManagedEventArgs();
args.ID = 0;
args.value = 0;
Marshal.PtrToStructure(data, args);

"
The structure must not be a value class.
"

I'm going to go ahead and try the StructLayout thing, but I wanted to post this ASAP.

thanks guys!!

[Edited by - maxdub on November 4, 2007 6:09:34 PM]
.max
Hiya,

You want to decorate your struct with the following attribute:

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, Pack = 1)] (well, the equivalent in C++/CLI syntax)

I've you're converting between data/bytes as generated by an unmanaged app, you'll want to use Marshal.SizeOf(): this gives different results to sizeof() for some primitive types (I think bool in unmanaged was 1 byte, but 4 in .NET, but don't quote me on that).

On your failing methods, e.g. StructureToPtr, look for overloads where you can pass a type in, i.e. typeof(ManagedEventArgs).

Let us know how you get on!
Cheers,
gary
C# Physics Engine Tutorials: www.taumuon.co.uk/jabuka/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement