Second Moment of Inertia using Green's Theorem

Started by
10 comments, last by Zipster 16 years, 5 months ago
You're doing fine.

And it *is* called the moment of inertia (or second moment of area), not second moment of inertia.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by arithma
Green's Theorem:

double intergral ( curl vector(F) dA ) = closed integral ( vector(F) dot vector(ds) )

What I need is double integral ( x^2 + y^2 dA ), right?
Knowing that vector(F) = <F1, F2>.. and applying green's theorem to this problem we get: dF2/dy - dF1/x = x^2 + y^2. I just chose F1 = 0. So F2 = x^2*y + y^3/3.

My areas are polygonal, so I am just going to parameterize the boundaries into segments and from there it should go alright.

So my question is: Is my work correct?

It's almost correct. Curl(F) dot <0,0,1> gives you [(∂F2/∂x) - (∂F1/∂y)]. Letting that equal x2 + y2, and letting F1 = 0 (or in general any constant) gives you F2 = x3/3 + y2x. Note that this is only true if you integrate the contour with respect to the parallel component 'dr'. You can also integrate with respect to the perpendicular component nds = -perpdot(dr), and you'll end up with the divergence theorem (more info about its relationship to Green's theorem). This gives you [(∂F1/∂x) + (∂F2/∂y)], which when equal to x2 + y2 gives you F2 = x2y + y3/3 (with F1 being a constant again). I'm partial (no pun intended) toward the divergence theorem due to my studies in electrostatics, but how you evaluate the integrals is up to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement