• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grill8

Questions about Frustum culling techniques.

This topic is 4059 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have some questions about Frustum culling techniques and optimizations for use in a dynamic 3D real time environment. I have researched on the web about this but the best article I could find was from 1999. The article is located at: http://www.ce.chalmers.se/~uffe/vfc.pdf The article essentially outlines and recommends using: 1) Plane coherency 2) The octant test 3) TR (Translation/Rotation) coherency The article recommends NOT using masking techniques. I read other articles as well that DO recommend using masking however and others that do NOT recommend TR coherency. My quesions are: 1) Are there better more modern techniques out there, i.e, are these techniques outdated? 2) Which of these techniques would you recommend in a FPS engine? I ask this because most of the articles I read on them were statistically contradictory. Thank you for your help. Jeremy

Advertisement
Well, there's no ultimate frustum culling technique.

You could use some spatial culling structure like an octree to reduce the test to objects that are close to the camera/frustum and thus might intersect the frustum. Or you could use protals to cull objects that are in rooms you can't look into. It depends on whether you have indoor / outdoor levels, level layout (portals might work in outdoor levels as well), camera movement (first person, top-down, ...) etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!