• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zadine

Cutscene

This topic is 4049 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’m new to game design, I have tried to search but didn’t find what I was looking for and I’m sorry if I’ve done anything wrong. This is what I know about cutscene, that there are two different kind of techniques used. The first one is Live Action cutscene, where it’s made like a video using real actors, sets and other stuff. The second on is Animated cutscene, which then divides into two categories Rendered and Pre-rendered. Where Rendered cutscene uses the game engine, and Pre-Rendered cutscene, take advantage of techniques like CGI and cel animation. In the past Game developers have been using Live Action and Pre-Rendered cutscenes, but now I’ve seen Game developers are focusing more on Rendered. So dose this mean that the original gaming method for creating cutscenes is Rendered and Live Action and Pre-Rendered are just borrowed off the film industry (I’m I right about this). I’ve come across real time, but I’m not sure what it really means in cutscenes

Advertisement
Well, basically there are two types of cutscenes, those that are played back from a file (film, pre-rendered, whatever) such as wmv, mpeg, divx, flic.....on and on, then those that are "real-time" or created by the game itself.

The second being one where the characters and backgrounds look exactly like the game itself and are rendered using the game engine. Sometimes the cutscene is just a story that is acted out at the start of a level before you are allowed to interact.

So in a nutshell the two approaches are, either pre-built in a file, or a sequence of events (story) inbedded in the game itself.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Realtime rendering is rendering on the fly; that is, using the game's engine as opposed to "offline rendering," or pre-rendered (CG, FMV), cinema scenes.

There is no real game industry standard for building cutscenes, but producing them in the game engine itself is historically cheaper art-wise.

So what's your question?

Whether pre-rendered techniques were borrowed from the film industry? Or the meaning of real-time graphics? Or something else entirely?

What you refer to as "Rendered" would probably be best called "Realtime", I.e. done on the GPU, at a reasonable framerate.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!