• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
laura127_99

[web] What web design software to use?

This topic is 3959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am attempting to start my own web design business, and I am looking into purchasing a web design graphics software program, such as Macromedia Fireworks, Corel, Fireworks CS3 etc. Since there are so many products offered by Adobe, I was wondering what is recommended by other web designers. I know CSS, HTML, and am learning PHP, etc. I should mention that I have windows Vista, so my options are even more limited. Since purchasing these software are so expensive, I wanted to make sure I picked something easy to learn but could last for a while. I could use a trial, but I don't know where to start. Thanks!

Advertisement
I think those are graphics programs, for making the images, which are not quite the same as web design programs, which allow you to lay out the page, add content, edit CSS, etc. An example of a web design program would be Adobe Dreamweaver - no idea how good it is these days as I've not gone near it in years.

The software I tend to use just a selection of apps frequently. Currently im using the CS3 versions of

Dreamweaver - for coding, stylesheets etc
Photoshop - For imaging work
Flash - For action scripting

If your looking at getting all of these apps (plus things such as Illustrator, fireworks etc) you would be best looking at the Adobe CS3 Web Premium pack.

If your just starting up though, these can all be pretty costly. Flash aside, theres little you can't do by getting your hands on some cheaper/free apps, which will allow you to replicate features of these programs.

Microsoft frontpage will allow you to produce HTML in a GUI enviroment. While the code it doesnt produce isnt always up to standards, its nothing you cant simply edit.

If your planning on doing all your coding my hand, download "crimson editor", which acts as decent text editor, and can also highlight pretty much any syntax you want once you get ahold of some custom syntax files depending on the language you use. Dreamweavers FTP functionality and site management can pretty much be replicated by filezilla.

In place of photoshop, have a look at the newest versions of Paint Shop Pro.

I have macromedia studio 8, so I use fireworks, dreamweaver, flash 8 etc. However when it comes down to quickly editing a page you can't beat PSPad imo.
Quote:
Microsoft frontpage will allow you to produce HTML in a GUI enviroment. While the code it doesnt produce isnt always up to standards, its nothing you cant simply edit.

Hasn't microsoft ditched frontpage and split it into two different apps now?
[edit] seems so

Quote:
[edit] seems so

Yup, but the whole point of suggesting Frontpage is that it is a FREE alternative to Dreamweaver. While cheaper than Dreamweaver, Expression Web still retails at about £200, which could be a large amount depending on circumstances.

Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
There is Eclipse PDT which is the best free PHP IDE that I've found. Not sure if it has any WYSIWYG controls since I never use them.

I just had a go of that, its pretty cool for a free app.

I prefer a decent text editor like Kate or Bluefish combined with a good graphics program to a single IDE or suite. Back on Windows I used Chami HTML-Kit + Paint Shop Pro. Nowadays on Linux I use Kate + GIMP.

Here's my suite of web tools that I use - all supported on Windows, freeware / free software:
> Programmer's Notepad - Simple, lightweight text IDE. No WYSIWYG
> FileZilla - FTP Client
> Firefox - If you don't know, then I don't know what to say

Graphics - I'm not much of a graphics artist, so I don't use these much
> inkscape - SVG drawing program
> Paint.NET - A useful graphics program
> GIMP - Already been mentioned

Server tools - for testing purpose
> XAMPP - Compact installation of Apache web server with latest version of PHP, MySQL with more
> SQLyog - MySQL client for managing databases

Quote:
Original post by Sonnenblume
Quote:
[edit] seems so

Yup, but the whole point of suggesting Frontpage is that it is a FREE alternative to Dreamweaver. While cheaper than Dreamweaver, Expression Web still retails at about £200, which could be a large amount depending on circumstances.

Last I checked, FrontPage isn't free. If you already own it, however, it looks like an upgrade to Expression Web is only a third the full retail price.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!