• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] [XNA] Korean language input on the 360

This topic is 3733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to be able to support Korean in my XNA 360 game. There are a couple things I'm not sure how to go about doing for this though... There are no fonts installed on the XBox, so you pretty much have to use the SpriteFont object, which creates a customizable xml file where you can specify the font file, along with multiple character ranges, from which the content manager will use to generate a texture file upon building your code. The game I want to create is a short RPG. Being a unicode newb, I tried including the entire set of Hangul syllable blocks (11000+ characters?). The comp was crunching and crunching forever and I eventually killed it. The texture file would've been WAY too big. Just how do Asians write games with such large character sets? Apparently they only include what they need, according to a post at http://forums.xna.com/post/23183.aspx, which is fine if you don't need input in your game. So that leaves the question, how do they support input using XNA on the 360? In the same post, the guy suggests creating multiple textures (SpriteFont objects in the case of XNA) each containing a subset of the language. To me, this seems like that would kill texture memory REAL fast. And I can't imagine using such a technique on the 360. I would imagine load time would be horrendous. Not to mention, how does input work for such languages on the 360 if there is no "IME" support on the 360? I'm guessing a Korean 360 would work similarly to how the Hangul IME works, in that they would use Hangul Jamo to create syllable blocks. I can't imagine they would use the controller to navigate through all 11000+ syllable blocks, choosing one at a time. Perhaps a custom IME would have to be programmed in XNA, which would be hell. Maybe my problem is, I'm expecting too much from XNA :) Any thoughts?

Advertisement
This is a good question, Have you posted it on the Creators site. You will find that the MS Guys will hang out there. You might find a few of them watching here but I would suggest passing the question on to the Creators site.

If you have no joy there, drop me an email and I will ask the MS Guys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement