• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Cell processor

This topic is 3760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I don't think the cell processors are available for consumer PCs, maybe in the future, in the mean time you could get a keyboard, mouse and a copy of Linux for your PS3, and if you don't have a PS3 you could get one of those too.

Quote:
Original post by BrioCyrain
Is there possibly any way to get a bare Cell Processor?

Would a bare cell processor be much use?

It is a bit like using a DSP instead of a CPU - it can be done (and has been done in several portable music players), but for general computing it wouldn't be very handy.

You could also search around for a blade server. Last i heard they offered a dual-cell setup. But i figure
that is going to be more pricy, and harder to get to a usable state than just booting up a brand new PS3 with
a linux disk.

Sure, you can buy Cell chips from IBM (Toshiba?) in bulk, I believe. They use them in a few commercial devices other than the PS3.

However, I assume you're intending to slap it into a computer. This won't work. The instruction sets aren't compatible -- it's not like you can just buy a Cell, slap it into your PC motherboard and have it work. You'd have to devise your own motherboard and support architecture, and it's not worth it.

So now you have two alternatives if you want to do programming for the Cell -- buy a Cell blade server or a PS3. But I seriously doubt you'll gain any benefit whatsoever having experience writing code for the Cell at your level of experience.

There's also a CellBE emulator for Linux from the IBM website, I believe. If you can't get that working, I think embedded multicore programming may be beyond your grasp.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement