Commercial Software Packages under 100 dollars

Started by
8 comments, last by OremLK 16 years, 4 months ago
Hey, music has 'intrigued' me for a while, and I've been searching around for free VST hosts/sequencers/etc, and have finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to pay for what I really want. I've tried free programs like Psycle (which I currently use), but none really seems to have the power and ease-of-use of programs like FL Studio and Acid. Right now, I'm not looking for something top-of-the-line (read: not Logic Pro), but something that can create good-quality audio. At this point, I'm pretty much set on either FL Studio "FruityLoops" Edition ($99), or Sony's Acid Music Studio ($59). If you have any other suggestions, please post them. :) From what I can tell, Acid Music Studio is more for hobbyists (it seems to focus on music creation through pre-made loops). FL Studio seems more like what I want, and relies more on samples and has better built-in software synthesizers. What do you guys think?
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by destron
Hey, music has 'intrigued' me for a while, and I've been searching around for free VST hosts/sequencers/etc, and have finally come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to pay for what I really want. I've tried free programs like Psycle (which I currently use), but none really seems to have the power and ease-of-use of programs like FL Studio and Acid.
Right now, I'm not looking for something top-of-the-line (read: not Logic Pro), but something that can create good-quality audio.
At this point, I'm pretty much set on either FL Studio "FruityLoops" Edition ($99), or Sony's Acid Music Studio ($59). If you have any other suggestions, please post them. :)

From what I can tell, Acid Music Studio is more for hobbyists (it seems to focus on music creation through pre-made loops). FL Studio seems more like what I want, and relies more on samples and has better built-in software synthesizers.

What do you guys think?

The Magix line of sequencers is priced under $100, and is actually quite robust.
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
It might be slightly over your budget, but I'm selling my copy of Sony Acid Pro 6 (MSRP: $375) for $130+ship. The only catch; it's an academic license, which means you need to be a student or educator to get it. However, this DOESN'T mean you can't use it for commercial purposes - it is not limited in any way otherwise. I called Sony and asked them this directly.

It's a wonderful program, easily able to compete with DAWs like Sonar and Cubase, with extensive audio/MIDI capabilities. I got it initially to work with video (which it does) but I no longer need it for that. Let me know if you're interested. :)
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
I would take you up on your offer, but I'm not looking to spend that much yet, and I'm not a student. :\
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P
Whatever route you choose, go for the light version of the sequencer you'd want to graduate to one day - for you that sounds like FL studio. This will make the learning curve less steep the day you "mature into" the full blown version.
My opinion,

Try Reaper - http://reaper.fm/

Then, go download the best free stuff from kvr
http://www.kvraudio.com/

Then, when you have enough money, start buying the best cheap stuff out there.
I can recommend you, just tell me what sound you are looking.

You could also try buying the fl studio which has ready instruments and doesn't cost that much (it has a life license, you only pay once). The catch is that fl studio has a very bad sound if you only use its own instruments, especially if you try something else rather than electronic music.

Hope I helped.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=452698
FL Studio is probably the best for a beginner. It has everything you need to create music. And even when/if you desire better synths, FL supports plugins so you can expand your arsenal. you might desire better acoustic or orchestral samples for example. easily remedied with a sample library or two. the only thing it can't do is detailed recording and editing.
I am using FlexiMusic Composer, it seems like the best tool for the job. You can create your own music with many sample instruments in it and get the good fealty of an audio. I think it should be $20.

[Edited by - israel90 on December 4, 2007 3:09:26 AM]
If you are a Mac user, you could use iLife for $79-99. It has Garage Band. The expansion "Jam" packs are $99 and offer a lot more for you to use.
FL Studio is definitely a good choice for a beginner or for anyone who just wants to throw together nice-sounding game music fast.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement