Any professional contractors/freelancers here?

Started by
13 comments, last by Avatar God 16 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone on this site work as a software development contractor as their main job? I was reading about the amount of things required to get set up and it sounded a little daunting. I was under the impression you could just get paid, keep track of all the payments, and then pay tax using a couple of forms. Now that might not be the best way tax-wise but is it possible to work like that, instead of setting up a company to trade under? I'm in the UK by the way so if anyone doing this as a living in the UK wouldn't mind chatting off-line, let me know. Thanks
Advertisement
I'm considering this (already have two potential clients). I'm afraid the laws here are much more annoying than yours, though, so I might not even be able to do it at all (that's the funny stuff about France—creating your own company requires that you pay the state before you earn money).
But do you need to be a company? I thought that as long as you pay tax on your earnings, you are OK... there are benefits in working through a company but is it a necessity?
It's probably a good idea to talk to an accountant.
In France, only a company can earn money without performing salaried work or royalties. Of course, the term "company" is taken in a much wider sense—it's usually merely a matter of registering with the adapted bloodsucking taxation agencies, so you can pay your mandatory taxes on earning a non-salaried income.
Quote:Original post by Sandman
It's probably a good idea to talk to an accountant.
Definitely. I believe in the UK there are even bodies which give free advice on such things.

But I'm looking to be informed before getting that far, so I know the basic things at least. So any tips or links relevant to the UK are gratefully received.

I am in a similar situation to you I think. I was employed for a year but then switched to being a contractor.
Now, IANAL but so far I have been doing some work as a 'Sole Trader'. I do some work and then I write an invoice to the company. I have to keep track of everything and at the end of the year complete a self-assessment form for my taxes, which as far I have read is greatly simplified compared to the next option...
Starting a limited-liability company. I will probably be looking to do this sometime after the financial year has ended but unfortunately I cannot offer much advise since I plan on hiring an accountant to take care of the setup and then all the taxes and forms I will need to do.

I think those are your two main options, operating as sole trader or as a limited company. I don't know which is available or more applicable in your circumstances but the sole-trader route is certainly a lot easier and less paperwork (I think the only thing you really need to do is contact Inland Revenue to say you are self-employed) so would make most sense if you can take it.

Once again, I'm pretty new to it too so I am sure someone can correct me :P
Thanks. Those are the options I expected to have, so it's good to hear. From what I gather, there are substantial tax savings from working through a company, and apparently there is something called I35 (or something) which can allow you to get out of paying National Insurance.
I take it you currently are paying standard tax rate & NI payments just as if you were on a salary?
No idea about UK law but here you don't need to register a company if you are simply operating under your own name. If you do end up registering a company then check out paying yourself in dividends instead of salary, the tax rate should be much lower.

I am fairly certain nts and yourself are correct as this was what I was under the impression of.

As a sole trader things are fairly easy. You don't need to register yourself with Companies House, but you do pay standard tax and NI, although I'd imagine it's a bit of a saving as it is only done at the end of the year when you complete your self-assessment and so have maybe gained on interest over the year.

In the long run though it is more beneficial to set up as a limited company and you can maximise your profits by careful control of financials such as paying yourself a low salary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement