visual basic help

Started by
4 comments, last by gharen2 16 years, 5 months ago
anyone know any tutorials in vb mmorpg design
Advertisement
Visual basic wasn't designed for MMO games. There aren't probably any visual basic tutorials for MMO's because an MMO is very complicated and take lots of people a long time to make. Making an MMO in visual basic is like try go across the ocean with a paddle boat. A paddle boat is easy to use just like visual basic but an MMO is like the ocean.
Let me expand on what corrob is saying:

Ive used vb.net for many years after trying to use C++ and finding it very hard to learn. One of the insights i gained from using vb for so long is knowing its limitations. Although vb.net is quite easy to learn syntaticly it tends to hide alot of a programs "meat" from the user. This is basicly incapsulation at its best. The reason for this is vb.net is used mainly by people who need programs to store and sort data and then display or print it in an organised fashion. Think of some of the programs that are written in vb.net: Till systems, customer data bases, organisers, diaries, etc.

Each time vb.net evolves it becomes more incapsulating because there is simply no need to handle low level tasks in this language. Now lets look at C++ (which i am back learning). It takes nearly ten times the code to make the same applications in C++ as it would in VB.net. Thats because C++ hides nothing. You have to construct everything yourself. This sort of low level programing is what is needed for games as every thing in any game is built from the ground up.

VB.net is like building a house with bricks, C++, on the other hand is like building it one atom at a time.

To then answer your question, i have seen game tutorials in VB.net but they tended to be harder to read than C++ because they were going against the grain of what VB stands for. If you want to program games use C++. By all means do not stop learning VB as it has some fantastic uses. but don't waste your time trying to make a game in VB as you will only get frustrated with both game programming and vb.net itself!
This sort of low level programing is what is needed for games as every thing in any game is built from the ground up.

Really? I never knew that. I always thought people made extensive use of existing libraries to make many games. At a minimum most games use either DirectX or OpenGL, or built in features of languages like Java or Flash. Many, many games, especially big ones, make use of entire engines specifically to avoid writing all their code from the ground up.

I will go against what these two have said. It's entirely possible to make excellent games in VB.NET. You can make plenty of low level calls if you need to, or you can operate in the 'higher level' programming that the framework provides. More importantly, VB.NET can use MDX1.1 or even better the XNA libraries to make managed DirectX calls.

In my experience, the limiting factor in most visual basic development, is the programmer, not the language.
-----------------------------------------------“The best, most affordable way to save the most lives and improve overall health is to increase the number of trained local, primary healthcare workers.”Learn how you can help at www.ghets.org
Yes, VB and VB.NET are capable of producing a quality, entertaining game. Just as
ItsDan said, it comes down to the capability of the programmer.

On the subject of c++ and low-level programming: Try assembly sometime and you might be surprised at just how much c++ abstracts away from the programmer. c++
_is_ a high level language in all regards.

More on the specifics of Visual Basic: I would strongly suggest not using VB6 (or
earlier variants of it) as it has been deprecated for some time now.

And finally, with making an MMO game, choice of language is definitely one of your lesser concerns.

Regards.
Yes vb.net could be used to create a mmorpg.

However, anyone who has to ask for a mmorpg tutorial or how to use a particular language to create one, definately won't have the experience necessary to do so.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it's very easy for a new programmer to get sucked into the idea of making a mmorpg, but it always ends in disaster. You'll save yourself a lot of headache by starting with something simpler.

[Edited by - gharen2 on November 13, 2007 2:15:29 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement