• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is OpenAL dead?

This topic is 3687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks for your comments Chris. Your work is very much appreciated. I will most certainly be switching to OpenAL Soft. :)
Quote:
And an interesting idea to toss out there, for those who want to see OpenAL evolve.. perhaps some people could get together to form an not-for-profit open-source Foundation or Group specializing in audio design and APIs, and ask Creative if they can help control the API and feature set as it goes into the future.
Has Creative ever had talks with Khronos Group?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by remdul
Thanks for your comments Chris. Your work is very much appreciated. I will most certainly be switching to OpenAL Soft. :)

I hope it works out for you. :) Feel free to ask questions if anything comes up.

Quote:
Has Creative ever had talks with Khronos Group?

Not as far as I'm aware, but then, I didn't even know the Khronos Group existed until the news that they were getting the OpenGL API from the ARB. I'm sure quite a lot of their attention has been towards the GL3 API, anyway.

Khronos is split into working groups; so if they did take on OpenAL for example, the working group for that would have no direct ties (and thus no impact on) the development of their other APIs.

On windows, does OpenAL Soft build as an Enumeratable dll? So, if I was to build it and drop the dll into my apps dir, then grab a list of OpenAL 'devices' would it show up along side the Creative ones I have installed?

Quote:
Original post by phantom
Khronos is split into working groups; so if they did take on OpenAL for example, the working group for that would have no direct ties (and thus no impact on) the development of their other APIs.

I see. Well, I took a look at khronos.org, and a quick search for OpenAL brings up a few forum posts asking for its adoption, but I didn't see any response from Khronos members.

Quote:
On windows, does OpenAL Soft build as an Enumeratable dll? So, if I was to build it and drop the dll into my apps dir, then grab a list of OpenAL 'devices' would it show up along side the Creative ones I have installed?

An enumeratable DLL is a regular OpenAL DLL, just with a different filename. By default OpenAL Soft builds as openal32.dll in Windows (the only dll that apps are directly concerned about), but simply renaming it to soft_oal.dll, or any name that ends in oal.dll, and putting it somewhere in the DLL search path should automatically add OpenAL Soft devices along side an existing list.

Relating to that topic though, it may be confusing to users to see OpenAL Soft's device names next to the device names in the wrap_oal.dll driver Creative ships in their redistributable. The names shouldn't clash, however.

ok, cool; I was planning to use OpenAL in a 2D engine type thing I'm putting together however with reports of lack of support and poor drivers an alternative sound system was pretty much required. I was planning on just throwing a wrapper around another API but this should save me some worl [smile]

For anyone interested, OpenAL Soft's GIT repo now has a branch with preliminary EFX support. More info is available on the mailing list post here: http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2007-December/004985.html

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement