Will you pay for downloading wallpaper?

Started by
29 comments, last by jbadams 16 years, 4 months ago
Hell no:
  • I see my PC as a tool, not a part of my life that needs extensive decorating.

• I live by the docks which is an interesting place to take photos, therefor I have plenty of interesting material of my own to use.

• The internet isn't particularly short of pictures, I am not going to pay for something that is so readily available.

And I don't buy ring tones either.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
Hell no:
  • I see my PC as a tool, not a part of my life that needs extensive decorating.

• I live by the docks which is an interesting place to take photos, therefor I have plenty of interesting material of my own to use.

• The internet isn't particularly short of pictures, I am not going to pay for something that is so readily available.

And I don't buy ring tones either.

Im with WanMaster. I very rarely even see the wallpaper on my system, 99% of the time its covered by the windows. Why would I want to pay something I will very rarely see? In any case its only a slight bit of decoration, if all wallpapers were payware, I would just stick with the default free ones.

In any case, there are millions of free wallpapers out there, im pretty sure for anything you produce there will be 10+ free ones more or less identical.

The only way i can see you making money from wallpapers if you make custom made ones. I can imagine small companies or net cafes may pay money for a wallpaper customised with their own logo / name. But I really cant see Joe Public paying for a wallpaper - joe doesnt even pay for music or software when they can be obtained for free illegally.
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
As someone who had to think for a second about the win+ key combination to see his desktop to remember if I even HAD something beyond a solid colour desktop, I would have to say no.

(turns out it is actually the default WindowsXP green hills-blue sky with puffy white clouds thing. I should likely find that quaketux one I had before. Not sure why I like that one, but its cute.)

I also use the default ringer on my cellphone, which is usually set to vibrate anyway. Not that anyone calls however.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
There are too many free wallpapers that don't look terrible to justify paying for something that at best you'll eventually get tired of anyway.
Ok.
Never.

Quote:Original post by baconfish
There are too many free wallpapers that don't look terrible to justify paying for something that at best you'll eventually get tired of anyway.

To further that, there are so many absolutely spectacular free wallpapers, spending money on one would be insane. Check out some of Geier's fractal stuff. Pretty fracking cool.
No.

It's not like I change my background every other day. I have no reason to pay somebody $10 a month, or whatever.

And as a side note to that. Good enough backgrounds are there, you've just got to look around. I haven't had a problem.
i would never pay... ever...

right now my background is XP blue.
I get my wallpapers free from NASA (For the last year I've used part of a 22000x5000 pixel picture taken by the mars rover).

Edit:
I've just changed to an image of the Carina Nebula.

[Edited by - MrEvil on November 22, 2007 12:57:04 PM]
Quote:Original post by Umbrae
I have at digitalblasphemy. It's very good wallpaper.

Digital Blasphemy used to be very "wow". But these days, it's a bit "meh" - the computer graphics have by-far been surpassed elsewhere (in games and in movies). And a lot of the images have a "template" feel to them.

I do have to hand it to Digital Blasphemy, though - at least the images there are properly designed to be wallpapers. I rarely change my wallpaper because it's so hard to find something that's pretty but doesn't draw your attention. Even the wallpaper I have now, I had to edit a few bits out to reduce its complexity.
I would never find one image on the net, among the trillions that are out there, that would appeal to me so much more than all the others that I would pay for it.
--------------------------~The Feature Creep of the Family~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement