Kong freeware game

Started by
8 comments, last by GPxz 16 years, 5 months ago
I have recently released a game called Kong at http://konggame.co.uk/, and I'm trying to make people aware of it so please excuse me for my shameless advertising. Kong is a freeware top-down shooter game featuring monkeys with a thirst for blood in a full 3D environment. The rules are simple, pick up as many health/armor packs and weapons as you can before blowing your enemies into smithereens. The game currently features two game modes including deathmatch and capture the flag with plans to introduce a number of new game modes. Computer controlled bots are provided as target practise but the real fun comes from playing in multiplayer over a local area network or the internet. Please check out the website to download the game, there are also a few videos online for you to have a look at if you can't decide whether or not its worth spending your precious time and bandwidth on. Also to try and help pursuade you, here are some screenshots:
Advertisement
Really cool game, indeed!
It's really fun to play (can only wish for larger maps and a larger variety of weapons, but then again that's almost always an issue with any game).

The only small lack of improvement, I can think of, is that the game "lags" a bit, because the bots are grouping together and standing in one place nearly all the time. This only happens, at least as far as I can tell, with bot-teams larger than 2 or 3 players.
Thanks for your comments,

There are some pretty big maps in there (big enough for say 8 v 8 I think). Although I've never had the chance to play with such a large number of players. I suspect there will be some performance issues.

More weapons will be implemented over time. As for the bots grouping together, I am aware of this problem. Currently the bots don't pay any attention to each other which is why they tend to get stuck on each other. I will work to improve this in the future, however my main focus is on the multiplayer side of the game.
Awesome game, really fun! I was only able to play with bots, but I'm looking forward to playing online if some i can find some servers. The only problem I noticed was the menu system. It doesn't seem professional at all and it may turn off potential players. It also didn't help that it started in level edit mode. I hope you plan to keep working on it, you have a great game so far! Keep up the good work!
Quote:Original post by HandCraftedRadio
Awesome game, really fun! I was only able to play with bots, but I'm looking forward to playing online if some i can find some servers. The only problem I noticed was the menu system. It doesn't seem professional at all and it may turn off potential players. It also didn't help that it started in level edit mode. I hope you plan to keep working on it, you have a great game so far! Keep up the good work!

Fair points there, in the next version there will most probably be a splash screen which will be displayed at start up rather than going directly into editor mode (just waiting for my artist to do it for me :)). And the menu probably isn't one of the strong points, its not very pretty but at least it is functional. To be honest working on the graphical user interface is one of the least fun things to do when developing games IMHO, so that is the main reason for it not being as good as it could be. But we will surely try to improve these aspects for future versions.
By the screenshots it remember me BaboViolent2

I dled it

First, it requested the MSVCP71.DLL, which i had to download separetely. Just to warn you, so next time include this file

Now its crashing when i try to run it :(

In OpenGL it crashes before anything appear, on DirectX it gives me this error

"OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to create Direct3D9 Device: Not available in D3D9RenderWindow::createD3DResources at \c++\ogrenew\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3DRenderWindow.cpp (line 573)"

Maybe its missing the DirectX dll, i am downloading DirectX9 and i will try again

LATER: Yeah, not working at all, its a shame, i really wanted to give a try :(

[Edited by - GPxz on November 22, 2007 1:47:59 PM]
My MSN: gerunbaum@hotmail.com
Quote:Original post by GPxz

I dled it

First, it requested the MSVCP71.DLL, which i had to download separetely. Just to warn you, so next time include this file

"OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Failed to create Direct3D9 Device: Not available in D3D9RenderWindow::createD3DResources at \c++\ogrenew\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3DRenderWindow.cpp (line 573)"

Maybe its missing the DirectX dll, i am downloading DirectX9 and i will try again

Yes the game style is similar to that of BaboViolent2.

Thanks for the heads up on the MSVCP71.DLL missing file. Its odd that I haven't had any complaints from anybody else about this though.

I can't think what could be the problem if you have the latest DX9 drivers and your gfx card drivers are up to do. Unless you have a very old machine?
Quote:Original post by SpaceDude

I dled it

Yes the game style is similar to that of BaboViolent2.

Thanks for the heads up on the MSVCP71.DLL missing file. Its odd that I haven't had any complaints from anybody else about this though.

I can't think what could be the problem if you have the latest DX9 drivers and your gfx card drivers are up to do. Unless you have a very old machine?

Dont worry, the problem is my hardware, i am using a really crappy onboard graphic display, and the drivers of it werent installed, i installed

But DirectX still dont work
OpenGL works, but the colors all screwed up, looks like a problem with the textures only, cause the menus colors are right, which led me to suspect its a problem with the graphic displayer
Dont worry, the problem is my hardware, i am using a really crappy onboard graphic display, and the drivers of it werent installed, i installed

OpenGL works, but the colors all screwed up, looks like a problem with the textures only, cause the menus colors are right, which led me to suspect its a problem with the graphic displayer

Ok, yes OpenGL does tend to work better with lower end systems. I have however also noticed a problem with the colours being messed up. I will try to fix that in the next version. Direct3D is the preferred renderer though, it is generally faster and less likely to have graphical display problems.
Quote:Original post by SpaceDude

Ok, yes OpenGL does tend to work better with lower end systems. I have however also noticed a problem with the colours being messed up. I will try to fix that in the next version. Direct3D is the preferred renderer though, it is generally faster and less likely to have graphical display problems.

I constantly get an error after some time of playing

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement