Sign in to follow this  

Interpolating cameras

This topic is 3680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to interpolate camera matrices. I have two matrices, camSrc and camDst, both are 4x4 matrices. The 3x3 rotation part contains a basis within the camera lies, the translation part contains the point where the camera stands. The matrices get basicly feed into gluLookAt. My scene only consist of one object and the matrices define diffrent views on it. I want to switch between the views and move the camera around the object. I'm currently calculating the rotation matrix to map one basis upon the other. From this matrix I extract the euler angles and interpolate them. Then I create a matrix from them and multiply it with the camSrc. The camera point (the "translation" - vector) gets linear interpolated. This works fine if I only rotate the camera or if I only move the camera. Doing both at the same time leads to some wierd movement. For any help thanks in advance... :) Tom

Interpolation of Euler angles a well-known problem called Gimbal lock. Interpolating the translation linearly seems natural enough, and for the rotation part, use quaternions.

Also, if both cameras are looking directly at the same object, you might be better off interpolating only the translation part and forcing the angle to always look at that object. Otherwise intermediate camera positions may not leave the object in the center of the image.

This topic is 3680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.