How can I make a function to return two values?

Started by
28 comments, last by sheep19 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I have this code:

bool checkWin ()
{

}

int main()
{
	bool winsP1, winsPC;

/*
	I want to return the first as true and the second as false :-
        I don't want to have: winsP1 = checkWin(); winsPC = !checkWin();
	*/

system ("PAUSE");
	return 0;
}

Thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
C and C++ can't return two values. You can put them together as an std tuple, or pass them in by reference and then change the values in the function. Or make a structure / class that holds both the values.

I'm writing a book about How To Make An RPG, check it out! | Blog

There are a few options:

1. Make a pair
    std::pair<bool, bool>checkwin( ){   // this syntax may not be exactly right   return std::pair<bool, bool> value(true, false);}

2. Make a custom struct
    struct Result{   bool p1win;   bool p2win;};Result checkwin( ){   Result res;   res.p1win = true; res.p2win = false;   return res;}

3. Pass result as reference parameters and change them
    void checkwin(bool& p1win, bool& p2win){   p1win = true;   p2win = false;}

4. Use a data type that encompasses the two you need to return. Obvioulsy not a general strategy like the others, but can be used in this example.
    enum Result{   P1_WIN,   P2_WIN,   NOBODY_WINS};Result checkwin(){   return P1_WIN;}

5. Use a better language :)

Of these, the only one I really don't like is #3.
For completeness:

6. Use individual bits to represent player state
   enum Won   {      NONE = 0,      P1   = 1,      P2   = 2   };   unsigned int checkwin()   {       // both win       return P1 | P2;       // player 1 wins       return P1;       // player 2 wins       return P2;       // nobody wins       return NONE;   }
You could also return an array of values.
you can make like this:

void checkWin(int *ret1,int *ret2) {
(*ret1) = 1234;
(*ret2) = 5678;
};

void main() {
int value1,value2;
checkWin(&value1,&value2);
printf("%d %d values now!",value1,value2);
};
Quote:Original post by sheep19

Why not? If you write a function that checks if a player (given as an argument) has won, and call it as above, your intentions are much clearer (so if you come back to your code later, it'll take less time to understand) and if you ever want to add more players, you don't have to rewrite that function.

However, if 'winsP1 == !winsPC', then there is no need to call that function twice (or to return two values), as you can simple do the following: 'winsP1 = playerWin(); winsPC = !winsP1;'
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Provided winsP1 == !winsPC always holds true then I'm completely with Captain P on this.
Don't have the function return both values, have it return just one, then call it once and invert the value for the other variable.

Not only is this clearer to read and understand, it's also easier to code.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
Quote:Original post by sheep19

Why not? If you write a function that checks if a player (given as an argument) has won, and call it as above, your intentions are much clearer (so if you come back to your code later, it'll take less time to understand) and if you ever want to add more players, you don't have to rewrite that function.

However, if 'winsP1 == !winsPC', then there is no need to call that function twice (or to return two values), as you can simple do the following: 'winsP1 = playerWin(); winsPC = !winsP1;'

This was an example. I'm doing AI for my TicTacToe game. It doesn't mean that when
the player doesn't win that the computer wins (I check for it between every turn).

I will use the one that wanMaster suggested, as it's what I want. (this is going to be used to test if a node is a winning one. That's why I don't want to pass the values by reference.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
I'd create an object pass it to the function by reference then the function can modify the two values that can be accessed by another function.

class ob{bool winsP1;bool winsPC;public:get_winsP1() return winsP1;get_winsPC() return winsPC;set_winsP1(bool x) winsP1 = x;set_winsPC(bool y) winsPC = y;}int function1(ob &ob1){//set or get winsP1 and winsPC as neededreturn 0;}int main{ob ob1;function1(ob1);return 0;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement