rant/question: Helpful tools that just get in your way?

Started by
22 comments, last by MrEvil 16 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
If you don't want a word processor getting in your way, but still want nice formatting then you might want to try hand-writing Latex documents. Latex is basically a simple markup language which you can write in plain text and then convert to a nice pretty format (like pdf) for actual distribution.

Latex is indeed very pretty. The prettiness comes at the cost of automation, however. When using Latex you take a step back and basically give Latex hints about how you want your document to look. Latex does the rest on its own. It can also be tricky to integrate pictures. However it tends to do beautiful renditions of equations.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
There's a researcher in my group with the surname "Teh".

That was over 9000 times as funny as it should have been.

But tl;dr, everyone agrees - word processors suck like this. I still can't figure out, even when I *want* to make a numbered list, how I'm supposed to communicate to the word processor that the list is complete.
Quote:Original post by binchawpz
Latex is indeed very pretty. The prettiness comes at the cost of automation, however. When using Latex you take a step back and basically give Latex hints about how you want your document to look.

Word isn't any better really - I know a guy who had to spend about 2 hours laying out his final project report for his degree because whenever he moved one diagram, Word automatically reshuffled all the other (already correctly positioned) ones. It was just an exercise in moving things around until he got something he found acceptable.

I'd like to say that I was smart, and used Latex.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
There's a researcher in my group with the surname "Teh".

That was over 9000 times as funny as it should have been.

But tl;dr, everyone agrees - word processors suck like this. I still can't figure out, even when I *want* to make a numbered list, how I'm supposed to communicate to the word processor that the list is complete.

Try pressing return twice. At least, that's how it works in Thunderbird, the only vaguely similar thing I have to hand at the moment.

I hate word processors; I've considered writing in HTML/CSS and using Price XML many times, and one day I may even make the effort to actually do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement