Please help, interesting question

Started by
0 comments, last by Jan-Lieuwe 16 years, 4 months ago
Hi All, I wasn't 100% sure where to post this question so I've decided to post it here, I'm sorry if it's wrong. I have been searching for a game development position for quite some time now, I don't have any commercial game development experience however I have created a couple of games in DirectX (2D mainly using directx7 and 8) and do some courses with GameInstitute.com. I currently work as a Java/C# web developer for an IT company and have great programming experiences in this language however I keep up on my C/C++ in my own time developing at home. Recently I have been contacted twice in regards to jobs specifically for poker game development and I don't know what to do. I hear from people that making Poker game's is not the same as making proper multimedia games and is therefore not exactly a foot in the door, however this company that makes poker games for machines utilises opengl quite heavily. The job offering has a little less money than what I earn now at my current position, so I guess my main question is can anyone tell me about Poker game development? Is it worth sacrificing around 10% of my income to head in the direction of C++ programming for Poker games to try and excel further? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
The fact that you have doubts (otherwise you wouldn't be posting here) tells me that you should take the risk of asking the 'poker company' for a 10% salary increase.

About 'poker games': if I were to be making *only* poker games for the rest of my career, I'd quickly move on and search for another job. If this would be a first opportunity to get into games, I'd give it a shot - as it would allow you to extend your resume and look for something more interesting as soon as boredom sets in.

I don't know your specialities, but for instance: adding eye candy (particles, 3D effects, etc.) to a poker game would be just as satisfying as adding those features to a triple A game. If your speciality is AI or optimizing then things look a lot less promising.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement