Sign in to follow this  
amokz0r

Please help, interesting question

amokz0r    160
Hi All, I wasn't 100% sure where to post this question so I've decided to post it here, I'm sorry if it's wrong. I have been searching for a game development position for quite some time now, I don't have any commercial game development experience however I have created a couple of games in DirectX (2D mainly using directx7 and 8) and do some courses with GameInstitute.com. I currently work as a Java/C# web developer for an IT company and have great programming experiences in this language however I keep up on my C/C++ in my own time developing at home. Recently I have been contacted twice in regards to jobs specifically for poker game development and I don't know what to do. I hear from people that making Poker game's is not the same as making proper multimedia games and is therefore not exactly a foot in the door, however this company that makes poker games for machines utilises opengl quite heavily. The job offering has a little less money than what I earn now at my current position, so I guess my main question is can anyone tell me about Poker game development? Is it worth sacrificing around 10% of my income to head in the direction of C++ programming for Poker games to try and excel further? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jan-Lieuwe    206
The fact that you have doubts (otherwise you wouldn't be posting here) tells me that you should take the risk of asking the 'poker company' for a 10% salary increase.

About 'poker games': if I were to be making *only* poker games for the rest of my career, I'd quickly move on and search for another job. If this would be a first opportunity to get into games, I'd give it a shot - as it would allow you to extend your resume and look for something more interesting as soon as boredom sets in.

I don't know your specialities, but for instance: adding eye candy (particles, 3D effects, etc.) to a poker game would be just as satisfying as adding those features to a triple A game. If your speciality is AI or optimizing then things look a lot less promising.