Sign in to follow this  
gdunbar

Direct3D light limit

gdunbar    2198
So, it seems that everyone "knows" that Direct3D has a limit of 8 lights. And sure enough, all the video cards that I have (2) allow 8 lights. (Though in software vertex processing mode they allow infinite lights, which isn't surprising). However, as far as I can tell, the documentation merely states that the caps structure describes the maximum number of lights. Is the number 8 just an unwritten rule that all of the video adapter vendors have agreed on? Or have I missed something? And, is there any danger of running into a card with a different number of lights allowed? Thanks, Geoff

Armadon    1091
If you are referring to the fixed function pipeline, then yes, you are only allowed to have 8 lights enabled at any given time, however you are allowed to define an unlimited amount of lights. You are only allowed to have 8 of them enabled at any given time.

With the Programmable Pipeline(e.g. Shaders) you can have as many lights as you want.

I hope this helps.
take care.

ET3D    810
IIRC this actually comes from the SGI days and OpenGL (or even GL before it). Since all OpenGL programs used this limitation, and hardware accelerated T&L OpenGL existed long before T&L in D3D, I guess hardware makers didn't see a reason to change the number for D3D.