Help choosing a game engine

Started by
2 comments, last by pinacolada 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I am working on some 3d models for a space shooter project and I am having trouble figuring out what game engine to use. I am not a programmer so I am looking for one that either has scripting abilities or minor programming. If needed I will post a help wanted ad for programmers. This is not out of the question as I want a "Great" product. The game type I am lookin for is along the lines of Star Wars Rouge Sqaudron for N64 (much better graphics), this game had everything you could ask for as far as physics and gameplay overall. ssSo if anybody has any suggestion then shoot. Thanks in advance //EDIT: Changed thread title to something sensible. - jbadams
Advertisement
How much are you willing to spend? Game engines generally come in three different price ranges: free, $200 to $300, or over $100,000.
Well I am not rich of course but it depends on the engine but $1000 is not out of the question. does anyone know of any links to engines relevant to what I am looking for. It would be a great help. Also i am on yahoo and msn I.M. under hollywoodjae026. 24/7 thanks
Well, you can always google for "game engines" and find lots of links & comparisons.

If you don't mind spending a little money, Torque is a really good choice. They do a lot of work for you, and they give you an editor that lets you see the actual game as you edit it. And they have a lot of samples to get you started.

If by any chance you're using Macs, then I would definitely recommend Unity. I've been trying it out for a few days, it's pretty awesome. It's kind of like Torque, except the editor is much better, and has better scripting support. Unity can produce games for Windows, but for some strange reason the editor is Mac-only.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement