Common FPS

Started by
4 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 4 months ago
Creating a sprite side scroller shooter in XNA, what's a suitable FPS? 24, 32? I also wonder about other games. What Frames Per Second rates do they use?
Advertisement
For 2D i have found anything between 30 and 40 to be ok.
Well I see no reason not to aim for 60FPS as you've got hardware acceleration with XNA.
Isn't it true that the lower the FPS, the less art needed to fill each game frame?

If I create an animation of a guy walking slowly for a 24 FPS game, I'd have to have many more frames of animation for the same animated walk to appear just as slow and play just as smooth in a 60 FPS game, right?
Quote:Original post by Sharp17
Isn't it true that the lower the FPS, the less art needed to fill each game frame?

If I create an animation of a guy walking slowly for a 24 FPS game, I'd have to have many more frames of animation for the same animated walk to appear just as slow and play just as smooth in a 60 FPS game, right?
Nah, you just duplicate frames. You use the same frame for a couple of passes, depending on how fast you're displaying them.

Your eyes can see only a certain amount of frames per second anyway. You'd be making animation frames that nobody can register.
The vast majority of games use the highest possible FPS that they can get on your machine. A suitable performance is one that is "reasonably playable" on your target low-end machine, whatever that may be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement