• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
metalmidget

Unity Windows (platform) SDK for using DX with VC++

This topic is 3895 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I've been trying to run some of the sample projects that came with the latest DX9, with VC++ 2005 EE. I kept getting errors about a missing file: d3d9.h. I looked around and found out that I had to include folders to look for the files in. So I've done that and now I'm getting a different error: "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'objbase.h': No such file or directory" I've been reading through this thread, which is how I found the first solution, but now I have a different problem- downloading the platform SDK, or windows SDK or whatever it's called. I don't know if I'm missing some obvious piece of information here, but all of the results from searching MSDN are either: 1- for Vista 2- for Windows Server 2003 3- redistributables. I followed the link from what looked like a useful page but that goes to one of the Server versions. Am I just meant to download a server one, even though I'm trying to set up DX9 for VC++ 2005 EE with XP? Cheers, metalmidget

Advertisement
That platform SDKs are named for the maximum version of the OS-version specific stuff that the platform SDK contains. So the Win 2003 server SDK lets you write programs that will access Win 2003 server specific functionality. The name doesn't have anything to do with what platforms the SDK will install to.

Yep, just get the one that is linked in "Step 2" of the Express edition page.

I.e. get this one:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0baf2b35-c656-4969-ace8-e4c0c0716adb

Don't worry that it says 'Server'.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!