Sign in to follow this  

Switch case behaviour confusing me..

This topic is 3679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, Dealing with some code here I didn't write that would have originally been compiled in Visual C++ 6.0 or Watcom..something with a fairly old C/C++ compiler :) I'm compiling this on Visual Studio C++ 2005 Standard. Here's a bit of the code:
			switch(polyPtr->PolyItemType)
			{
				#if debug
				case I_Polyline:
				case I_FilledPolyline:
				case I_Wireframe:

/* NB This is intended to fall through to the GouraudPolygon case */
				#endif
//				case I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_GouraudPolygon:
				case I_Gouraud2dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_2dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_3dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_ZB_2dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_ZB_3dTexturedPolygon:
				{

//	LOCALASSERT(0);
					break;
				}
				case I_ZB_GouraudPolygon:
				{
                                    <- LOTS OF CODE HERE ->
                                }
                                case I_ZB_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon:
				case I_ZB_Gouraud2dTexturedPolygon:
				{
                                   <- CODE I NEED TO RUN ->
                                }

The case i'm expecting to be met is 'case I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon:' but I see this doesn't have a case specified. Switch statements *should* ignore any case with no break; in it and drop down to the next switch, i'm assuming. This doesn't happen when I compile under VS 2005. It doesn't "drop" through the cases. If I copy the code from the case I need to run into the case 'I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon' then everything works as expected. Why is this? is this because VS 2005 is more C++ compliant, and this code is the "wrong" way to do switch cases, or..?

If polyPtr->PolyItemType is I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon, then it will drop through all the case statements and hit the LOCALASSERT(0); line (Well, if it wasn't commented out). And that behavious is in VC6 or 2005 (Or any C/C++ compiler).

Basically you can think of a switch/case statement as a goto command, and break as "goto end of switch statement". If you hit another case blah: line before hitting a break, it's ignored.

Well, sort of anyway [smile]

Yeah, that LOCALASSERT is commented out in the original code too.

Do you know what that actually does?

I need it to drop down to the 3rd case listed in the code, but surely once it drops down through to the first case with the break; in it, it'll stop, and never reach the 3rd case where I need it to be?

Quote:
Original post by sirlemonhead
The case i'm expecting to be met is 'case I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon:' but I see this doesn't have a case specified.

Then it will skip all the cases, and if a default is specified, it will jump into that, otherwise it will just stay out of the entire switch statement.

I'm not 100% clear on what it is you expect of the code, and what actually happens. *if* polyPtr->PolyItemType == I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon, and I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon is uncommented, then it will match that case, and from there, fall through all the following cases until it encounters a break (in case I_ZB_3dTexturedPolygon).

If I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon is commented out as in the code you showed, then it won't enter any of the cases.

At least, that's what the compiler *should* behave like. VC6.0 is known to be buggy and emit erroneous code, on top of its lousy standards compliance.

default just has break; in it

I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon is commented out at the top, but it's there a second time uncommented (was like that in the original code, sorry for the confusion)

My original problem with this code was that no level geometry was rendering in the game. I did some tracing back through code, and using OutputDebugString, found out that polyPtr->PolyItemType was constantly set as 'I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon'

The code from the third case 'I_ZB_Gouraud2dTexturedPolygon' Is the code I need because If I copy the code from that into the 'I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon' case, then the level renders fine and everything is ok.

So it *should* be dropping down to the 3rd case when 'polyPtr->PolyItemType == I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon'

Oh, hadn't noticed there was an uncommented version of it too.

Anyway, the behavior you see sounds just like C++ *should* behave. If you want to fall through to the I_ZB_Gouraud2dTexturedPolygon case, you could just reorder the cases. As it is I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon falls through down to I_ZB_3dTexturedPolygon, where it breaks and exits the switch statement. Moving the I_Gouraud3dTexturedPolygon case down below that would be one way to solve the problem.

This topic is 3679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.