3d Studio Max or Maya?

Started by
5 comments, last by Jan-Lieuwe 16 years, 4 months ago
For making 3d models for games, 3d studio max is better than Maya right? If so what is the use for Maya? I'm guessing Maya is for animation and 3D studio max is more appropriate for the game stuff.
Advertisement
i personally use milkshape cuz its so easy! but if i had to choose itd be 3d studio max.
Neither is better for making "3d models for games". Both are industry standards. Generally a studio winds up going with whatever their senior modelers are most familiar with, though some studios will use 3DS Max, Maya, XSI, Zbrush, and Mudbox in the same team. The important things is to just learn how to model well. It doesn't matter which application you happen to be more familiar with it. They are just tools.

The 3D artists at my company use 3DS Max and Zbrush. Initially we used Maya, but then started getting in a bunch of guys who use Max so we made the switch.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
3DSMax and Maya users are both in good demand, and they're both capable of doing the same things. What's only different is in their workflow. Both 3DS Max and Maya are capable of producing files suitable for game content, with the correct plugins.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development
You can use either to model, texture and animate with, so they'll both do the job. Some artists prefer maya, some prefer max, so that's just a question of personal taste.

The Maya API, it's scripting capabilities, and underlying architecture are phenomonally good. It's learning curve is a little steeper than Max, but worth the effort imho.

The Max SDK and its underlying architecture is a pile of steaming c**p. Max Script is ok, but then it reflects just how bad the 3DS max architecture is. Max is easier to learn, but if you hit a problem or something that Max can't do, you're kinda screwed. (you probably wont hit problems of that sort for an average game character).

If you think you might need to write plugins or custom tools in future, then definately go with Maya. Otherwise you could use either and not worry too much.

(of course there is always XSI, which is cheaper than Max and Maya, easier to use than Max and Maya, and has a better scripting than Max and Maya. Maya beats XSI in it's SDK, but that's about it).

Thank you everyone.
From a coder's point of view, Maya is the better one. From an artist's point of view... I dunno; I'm not an artist.

My company (located in Europe) uses 3D studio Max because our artists seem to prefer it. In Japan it is the other way around, so I heard.

When I had to write a couple of plugins for 3D studio Max, I was surprised to see how bad the Max SDK was coded (This was v6). Nowadays Maya and 3D studio Max belong to the same company, so I'm sure things have changed since then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement