Sign in to follow this  
mayanc1981

DirectX and XP layered windows (tooltips, shadowed context menu strips, etc) problem

mayanc1981    122
Hi, I've got a problem when using DirectX in windowed mode and layered windows. I got some weird behavior with some graphic card (both ATI and Nvidia). When a tooltip appears, a shadowed context menu strip or any other layered windows, the FPS is dropping dramatically, or in some cards, the display is showing badly. I found out that this problem has got something to do with the fact the Windows XP can't handle alpha blending in the GetDC function, and as a result, DirectX is using software instead of hardware to blend them and causes this weird behavior. I found a hotfix that was supposed to handle this problem (KB937106) but it didn’t fix the problem. I tried everything but without any success yet. I will appreciate any help here, Thanks in advance, Mayan P.S. The problem is not showing in Windows Vista

MJP    19753
I'm not sure there is any way to fix this...unfortunately when GDI and D3D cross paths the results are never favorable. They're simply not designed to play nicely together and XP. But perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I knows a clever work-around.