Sign in to follow this  
Xeom

2d side scroller

What are my api options when cosidering something like a 2d side scroller? I really don't want to use something like XNA because its just so heavy for something that would normaly be 10-20mb.Simple and "easy" is my aim. I don't even know what programing language im going to use yet(C++ i figure). Are there any articles on what i believe is called pixel physics. A good example of this would be a game named "Cortex commander"(google).And would that be compatible with more conventional physics like chipmunk physics engine?

Python + Pygame is a good choice if you're going for a simple 2D game. It's a lot easier and faster to work with than, say, C++, once you get the hang of Python - which probably shouldn't take long.

As for pixel-precise collision detection, it's often not the best approach (for both performance and gameplay reasons - getting stuck on a few left-over pixels isn't fun). For games that allow holes to be blown in the environment, it's probably the most straight-forward option, but for mostly anything else, it's better to use simple shapes such as boxes and circles.

As for physics, I haven't really investigated physics engines, so do you need full physics, or does a simple collision system suffice? Either way, there should be some Python bindings available for some physics engines.

In the end, it depends a lot on what you want and need, and what your personal preferences are. Good luck with your game. :)

Yea destructable terrian was something i really wanted. HGE looks like a good engine. Im just worried i wont be able to modify it enough. For things like pixel physics something really want to use.