Sign in to follow this  
TheKrust

Drawing without Rendering?

Is there a cheap method for copying texture information to another texture, such as, Render to: Texture A copy: Texture A -> Texture B I've been looking for this for a while now. I know that: Texture A = Texture B does not work. That just makes it so every time you render to Tex A, Tex B gets it as well. Not the desired effect. So is there some function like memcopy() or possibly a cheaper method that can preform this? I'm trying to avoid a big drop in frame rate here.

It depends where your textures are. If you're rendering to texture A, I assume it's in the default pool, in which case the only way to read from it to Lock() the top-level surface (And then Lock() the top-level surface on Texture B and copy the bits), or to use StretchRect() - which requires that the Texture B is in the default pool too. And StretchRect has some other limitations (Like you need to check for driver support for copying between textures).

thanks for the quick reply.

yes, they're in D3DPOOL_DEFAULT.

Wouldn't copying the bits on the CPU be horrendously slow? StretchRect() sounds like a good option. I take it its not really suported on older hardware so that won't be an issue. I'm aiming for newer hardware anyway. So how would I go about doing this?

I was hoping to find a more existential discussion... [rolleyes]

Since I'm here though, just though I'd note that StretchRect is gone from DX10.

It exists, no more.