Ms Visual c++ 6 and the Dell Vostro 1500

Started by
15 comments, last by NineYearCycle 16 years, 4 months ago
If by work great you mean;
- produces sub standard code
- doesn't properly support the C++ standard
- has a bad Std. Lib implimentation
- has horrible template support

and other things I can't name off the top of my head (as well as visually being so fugly it hurts my eyes to even think about using it now), then yes.. it's "fine".

However, when compared to a modern C++ compiler and IDE setup, such as VC++08 EE, it's horrible...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by scorpion007
Dunno why you guys are so harsh about VC6. It works fine here. I have both VC 6 and 8 side by side (latest service packs of course) and they work great. No need to be religious about tools.

VC6 doesn't generate corrupt exes, don't know what you're talking about.

His problem with explorer probably has nothing to do with VC6 and probably has a virus or some other malware on his computer.

It's not that we're being religious about tools, but VC++6 was written before C++ was standardised, as such you could say it compiles a 'C++ variant'. This variant is poorly defined and there are no hard and fast rules about what might or might not compile. We would much rather use tools that more closely match the well defined and understood C++ standard, such as the more modern VC++8/9 editions.

[Edited by - dmatter on November 22, 2007 7:21:56 PM]
There is really no reason at all for someone to use Visual Studio 6 when a free alternative that is 1000 times better is a few quick clicks away.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
That's true, it definitely doesn't support all the latest C++ features. So if you're going to be doing any of that meta-template programming stuff, you better use something newer than VC6. But if you primarily code C, and use more or less conventional C++ (nothing too cutting edge), then you'll find VC6 does a pretty good job.

It's more of an issue when you're developing non-Windows code that you need high-level of conformance, I guess.
Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski
There is really no reason at all for someone to use Visual Studio 6 when a free alternative that is 1000 times better is a few quick clicks away.

Yeah, but the free version doesn't have a resource editor, does it? Nor does it have remote debugging, from what I can tell. You need the professional edition for that. But yeah, if you're just starting out, that probably won't matter too much.
(The VC6 IDE is also a lot more responsive and uses a hell of a lot less memory than VC 2005 does)
Quote:Original post by scorpion007
But if you primarily code C, and use more or less conventional C++ (nothing too cutting edge), then you'll find VC6 does a pretty good job.

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++){// do something 10 times}for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++){// do something else 10 times}

Standard compliant C++ and iirc it utterly fails to compile on VC6.

@jafe
and now back on topic... No it doesn't look like anyone knows why VC6 is not working for you.

Off-topic: yes you really are better off getting the totally free version of VS2008 Express Edition. I was a long time VC6 stalwart but looking back I can only assume that I was suffering from some terrible mental illness. Now that I've recovered from that illness my code is more standard compliant, I've come to love the STL, multi-platform portability is but a few minutes work and I have a long term gorgeous girlfriend... obviously this correlation can't be proven but I find it convincing enough :D

Good luck, and remember get a new IDE ;)

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement