Ms Visual c++ 6 and the Dell Vostro 1500

Started by
15 comments, last by NineYearCycle 16 years, 4 months ago
Yoh all, I just recently bought a Dell Vostro 1500. Arrived yesterday and it's pretty damn good. First thing I did was I installed a few games to give the graphics card and processor a little try out, then I went on to install Microsoft's Visual C++ 6, Professional Edition. I realized when I log off of the user account or shut down the laptop I'm given an error message of explorer.exe having encountered some exception in writing to memory - sorry I can't be more accurate as I restored the system back to before I installed Visual. I wanted to put visual c++ 6 onto the laptop so that I could do some work on my 4e6 (possibly) entry. What I wanted to know is, has anybody tried to install Visual c++ 6 on one of these machines? If so, do you get the exception error from explorer.exe as you turn it off? If not, could you help me solve it? Best Regards, Mike Also, perhaps this thread is a little out of way from "general programming" although I could find no better suited forum; and it does relate somewhat to compilers.
Advertisement
Solution: Download Visual Studio 2005 Express, and throw out your 10 year old, non-standard complient, broken, corrupt exe generating compiler.

Seriously.
Yeah, Visual C++ 6 did that to my old work laptop. Evil Steve's suggestion is good though - and the new Visual Studio 2008 Express editions are out now.
Visual C++ 2008 Express editions are free to download with no strings attached. The fact that you may once have paid money for VC++6.0 does not in any way mean that you should install it over the free VC++9.0 Express which is far superior.
Arguably you could go for the 2005 edition (VC++8.0) on the basis that it's potentially more stable, but that wouldn't be my own personal advice, just a thought [smile]
Seems like a good idea but will it take my current work from vc6++ easily?

Also, what's the policy on distributing of programs created with it? Will I need a licence or anything?

And thanks for all the input
It will import the code easily yes, whether or not your code will compile first time or not is a different question, VC++6 is so bad it will compile completely intollerable code without complaining, obviously a modern compiler won't be so lenient.

There are also no restrictions on programs you make with it, commercial or otherwise, no license necessary.
Quote:Original post by dmatter
It will import the code easily yes, whether or not your code will compile first time or not is a different question, VC++6 is so bad it will compile completely intollerable code without complaining, obviously a modern compiler won't be so lenient.

There are also no restrictions on programs you make with it, commercial or otherwise, no license necessary.

Wow, I think I'll go get this then. Is there a catch?
You have to register within 30 days, but it's free and painless. Other than that, there's no soul-stealing fine print that I know of. There's not even any restrictions on how you can distribute your program.
Quote:Original post by jafe
Quote:Original post by dmatter

Wow, I think I'll go get this then. Is there a catch?

The only catch with VC++ Express is the lack of a resource editor.

If you don't do anything major with the Win32 API (requiring mass dialog's, menu's, etc) then this shouldn't be much of a problem though.
Dunno why you guys are so harsh about VC6. It works fine here. I have both VC 6 and 8 side by side (latest service packs of course) and they work great. No need to be religious about tools.

VC6 doesn't generate corrupt exes, don't know what you're talking about.

His problem with explorer probably has nothing to do with VC6 and probably has a virus or some other malware on his computer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement