Visual C++ 2008 express edition

Started by
11 comments, last by gran sveti 16 years, 4 months ago
Okay I've just noticed that this version seems to want to connect to the Windows Symbol server everytime I try to run or debug anything within the IDE. It's getting pretty annoying since it seems to be downloading the same symbols each time so it take a good minute or more for anything to actually show up on the screen! Is there anyway to disable this so it doesn't keep downloading and loading the debug symbols?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
Just block the port, it still works :P
Do you have the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable defined?
It probably points to the symbol server. Just rename it to something like _NT_SYMBOL_PATH_OFF so VC doesn't find it (or delete it completely).
Are you using the beta version or the full/final release version ?? As i know its only just come out of beta, and would be interested to hear if this problem is with the final version.
It's likely a problem with the user, not the software.
Not directly related but close,
I can safely say that Visual Studio 2008 Professional/Team Developer Edition(s) don't have this problem.

In addition the IDE has some nice speedups ( that i noticed ) the time of waiting
for Intellisense Indexing to complete is finally over.

Not sure about the Express edition though.

Sounds like they incorporated the intellisense patch into VC 9 like they said they would. I use VC8 at the moment (with the patch), so wouldn't know for sure.
Yeah its probably that and some other additions to make it more responsive.
I do mostly non game coding with VS, so in addition i quite like the new increased
responsiveness of for example the ASP.NET Visual Editor ( which is actually a completly new one, Expression Web integrated into VS ) and the WinForms editor.
Previously changes made visually to a web page or a WIndows Forms would take increasing ammounts of time to go through ( since it needed to sync code up ). Those waits are now gone. Completly. At least on my development machine.
Also a nice WPF Editor is there for the first time ( Expression Interactive Designer sucks for standard GUI work IMO ).

I am really impressed with this release, it fixes so many problems and annoyances i have had with VS2005.
Quote:Original post by scorpion007
Do you have the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable defined?
It probably points to the symbol server. Just rename it to something like _NT_SYMBOL_PATH_OFF so VC doesn't find it (or delete it completely).

Yeah I do have it defined so I guess it's actually automatically picking it from there.
But yeah that's pretty much what I needed to know since I didn't know how the IDE was connecting to the symbol server since I didn't have the symbol server setup in the options in the C++ IDE.
So it's as simple as renaming my symbol path enviornment variable cool didn't know that and now I'll be able to get some work done without having to wait on symbols to download.

[Edited by - daviangel on November 23, 2007 6:46:58 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by Gluber2007
Not directly related but close,
I can safely say that Visual Studio 2008 Professional/Team Developer Edition(s) don't have this problem.

In addition the IDE has some nice speedups ( that i noticed ) the time of waiting
for Intellisense Indexing to complete is finally over.

Not sure about the Express edition though.

I'm using VC++ 2008 express RTM version and I like it alot better than 2005 so far. It's noticeably faster to load and overall snappier.
Only downside with the express version is that it doesn't come with the x64 compiler so you are limited to 32 bit exe's.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement