Sign in to follow this  
phalaris

Returning clipped SDL_Surface*

This is really annoying me.. I know how to apply an SDL_Surface* using a given SDL_Rect to specify only a small part of it. But I need my function to take an SDL_Surface*, clip it down specified by a rect and return the surface WITHOUT blitting it. So it should look like this: SDL_Surface* ClipSurface (SDL_Surface* pSurface, SDL_Rect* pClip) { SDL_Surface* pResizedSurf; // cut out a pClip from pSurface and apply it for pResizedSurf return pResizedSurf; } .. thanks a million! I'm just too tired at this stage... :(

Without blitting the surface to the screen, or without using SDL_Blit entirely?

Why not just create a empty surface of the dimensions 'pClip->w' and 'pClip->h', and blit pSurface over that, using '-pClip->x' and '-pClip->y'? SDL takes care of making sure you don't go out of bounds, so it should be safe. [smile]

You can use SDL_CreateRGBSurface to make the empty surface.

If you are not wanting to do that, you can use SDL_CreateRGBSurfaceFrom to do what you are wanting, it'll just take a bit more math by modifying the pixel data pointer passed(void *pixels), and changing the pitch, but it also should work. It might be slower than a fast blit, though, and certainly more dangerous, since it now relies on you to make sure you don't go out of bounds, instead of SDL bubblewrapping it.

Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
Without blitting the surface to the screen, or without using SDL_Blit entirely?

Without blitting to the screen..

Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord

Why not just create a empty surface of the dimensions 'pClip->w' and 'pClip->h', and blit pSurface over that, using '-pClip->x' and '-pClip->y'? SDL takes care of making sure you don't go out of bounds, so it should be safe. [smile]

You can use SDL_CreateRGBSurface to make the empty surface.

If you are not wanting to do that, you can use SDL_CreateRGBSurfaceFrom to do what you are wanting, it'll just take a bit more math by modifying the pixel data pointer passed(void *pixels), and changing the pitch, but it also should work. It might be slower than a fast blit, though, and certainly more dangerous, since it now relies on you to make sure you don't go out of bounds, instead of SDL bubblewrapping it.

Thanks a million, exactly what I wanted! :D
I can finally get some sleep now..