Could Someone help me? I need some help coding direct input.

Started by
10 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 16 years, 4 months ago
I have a directx model with camera controls in it, but I was wondering could someone help me program the camera controls to except input from a joystick to move the camera? I tryed codeguru, but their way was really confusing. Please post if you have an Idea!
Advertisement
These step by step tutorials should get you going
I know how to Use Direct Input, but I don't know what to put in the if statements to rotate/move the Camera!(I'm Not Mad just trying to Learn not your fault :-) Please help me, Give me code examples if possible.
Right. Maybe this is more helpful.
Hey I have gone there and I have tryed to compile the source code, but it doesn't work. I need some good source code on moving a camera with directinput.
The truth is that you don't want to use DirectInput as your input system if you don't have to. Keyboard and mouse input is much more easily handled using Window events, so use those if you can.

Secondly, moving a camera is completely different depending on how your camera is implemented. Usually though, you can adjust the view matrix by translating or rotating based upon camera movement.

Although it's usually best to figure it out yourself, if you are desperate for the quick and easy way out, take a look at some of these tutorials.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
I tried to compile it myself and it compiled right out of the box here.
Hard to say what the problem is if you don't provide us with the error messages you get, but it could be that you need to add/modify some directories/options in the project properties.
Hey Thanks ! I went to the Ultimate Game Programming site and downloaded the source code and it worked! I just want to learn about the camera I am not going cheat and use that source code. I'll type up my own.
About the Toymaker website I tryed again at compiling the code and it worked, but I couldn't open the program. I clicked on the CameraDemo.exe, but It just stays the same. I even tryed starting without debuging. I don't know if this is useful,but I use Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.
^- Visual C++ 2005 express

Grats!
I agree cheating is a bad idea the first couple of times you try something out =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement