GLSL: couple questions

Started by
3 comments, last by zedz 16 years, 4 months ago
I'll keep this short and sweet. 1) Is it acceptable to assume (or fail violently if there is lack of) GLSL vertex and fragment shader support for a game I'm developing, likely to be released late next year? 2) Can Lumina run on Mac OS X, and if so, can someone point me in the direction of a release?
Advertisement
As an answer to 1, I would say most people who either play games or develop them will have some form of pixel shader / vertex shader support. That said you should still check that the extension is supported when your program loads up and exit gracefully if not, it is always good for a user to know the reason why the program doesn't work.

I'm not sure about question 2, sorry.
Lumina, as in the iPhone game, or the company that made the decision modeling software?
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
1) For the most stuff a DX9 (ShaderModel 2.0) capable card should be enough to use GLSL vertex and fragment shaders. (Not all algorithms are possible with SM2.0)

2) Lumina (the GLSL IDE) should run on Mac os (Intel), but unfortunately I don't own a Mac, so I can't release a binary version.
http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html

as u can see the top 12 graphics cards all support glsl (prolly > 90% of the total)
in a year this will be even higher

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement