Sign in to follow this  
Boltimus

Skinning? or is it texturing?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have a noob question here. I noticed as I have been using some models that some come with one texture, but the texture is really a bunch of pictures where (I'm guessing here) it seems that the texture coordinates for the model correspond to certain parts of the texture. What i want to know is, what is this called? A texture? hehe, I'm being serious. I thought that a texture was just one image and it was applied to the whole model. This is a cool idea. Also, how do I even start to make something like this? is there any good software out there to do this and any that might be free? At first blush it seems like a daunting task trying to get the texture coordinates to match with the texture "sub-images" for certain parts of the model. Thanks in advance for any help. I know this is a newbie question but I'm just exploring the 3D realm. Thanks! ~Bolt

I'm fairly sure skinning/rigging refer to geometry processes.
You are just talking about texturing a model. Most model programs have a UV unwrap function that gives you an output image
complete with line markers for each poly on the origional geometry. You then just ahve to texture in the line to get your
texture on the model.
Other setups like Zbrush let you paint geometry and texture right on the model, and it takes care of the unwrapping of
all the textures for you behind the scenes.

The terms are a little vague, and will vary depending on the point in the production pipeline.

If you ask a 3D modeller (the artist who creates the models), he'll probably call it skinning. They would be said to skin a texture onto a model.

The programmer, however, would tend to use the more general term, texturing. Texturing can refer to the projective application of any bitmap image to polygon-based geometry, and the case of 3D meshes (which are effectively synonymous with 'models' to the programmer) is just one example.

The use of the term "skin" to mean a texture on a model is a relic probably originating in the Quake engine (interchangeable textures for models, especially the player model, were called skins). These days, skinning usually refers to connecting the geometry (vertices) to the skeleton for animating purposes. The visible surface of the model is sort of like the skin of a character... Textures are just textures even if they're UV mapped to a model.