Sign in to follow this  

Advise about Terrain texturing please...

This topic is 3672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating a terrain map editor. It uses multiple textures for each terrain area and blends them together to make the final texture that appears on the terrain surface. It does this by blending several alpha textures that are editted by the map editor during creation. The procedure actually goes and blends Texture-Alpha-Texture-Alpha-Texture-Alpha-Texture and so on to get the final terrain color. If you've built a map editor then you probably are familiar with the process of blending texture layers together onto a terrain surface. Anyways, the question I have is this: is it better to save the resulted blended texture and load it into the final game or save the individual layers and blend them at game time? The reason for the question is that I guess I see benefits to each way. If I save the blended texture it might be faster to load and such but would definately eat up a ton of memory. -Devin

As you've commented yourself - it's a trade off.

"Baking" the texture in your editor increases storage on disk (unique texture per landscape) but will probably increase rendering speed. The main downside as I see it is flexibility - if you want to deform your terrain you're a bit screwed!

I'd imagine it'll be a lot easier to go from runtime-blended to baked than the other way around. Stick with the way you've got it but leave yourself a backdoor for implementing baked terrain textures at a later date if you find that the situation favours it.

Jack

Quote:
if you want to deform your terrain you're a bit screwed

Yea that concerns me! I would like to have interactive objects as much as possible. I just love games that interact in every way possible.

I thought perhaps there was a standard that people had figured out. I guess I'll play around with both methods and see which proves the best. Maybe I'll keep both methods open and available in code.

Thanks Jack,

Devin

This topic is 3672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.