Shader Based Rendering

Started by
3 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 5 months ago
Hi everyone, Do you know what is shader-based rendering (like what's in Source engine)? Could you give me some resources so I can start studying this king of rendering engine? Yours, KSP
Advertisement
All modern commercial engines are shader-based, really. The Wikipedia page isn't a bad place to start.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Hi,
Thanks for the link. But I'm sorry that I didn't ask what I meant correctly. What I want to ask is that how the graphics engine is designed? For example, does it mean that every object should be rendered using a pixel shader, vertex shader and probably geometry shader?

Yours,
KSP
Yes
Yes. There isn't really another way, these days - even if you use the fixed function pipeline, the card will emulate it using a shader.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement