Sign in to follow this  
TheKrust

Shadow Volume Difficulty

A simple question. I am wanting to put in shadow volumes for my graphics engine as of now. I am looking at the sample from the Dx SDK, I'm taking it that the 80 page "Find Edge" function is pretty standard, so that can probably be copied and modified. In ::your oppinion::, scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it to implements shadow volumes when going from the SDK sample. Also, is the method they use good or should I look for another one? I'm keeping in mind that my GPU is carrying the weight of the world and my CPU is practicly lifeless. It could help balance it out.

Do you understand the theory behind how SV's work? That's what you REALLY need - having an example to use is great, but copy and paste coding will only get you so far [smile]

SV's have gone out of favour in recent years but theres still plenty of good material available online. It doesn't matter whether the SDK sample works for us - it needs to work for you, and if it doesn't you need to find extra samples/whitepapers etc...etc...

hth
Jack

yes I understand the theory behind shadow volumes. I've implemented them before but this is a different variation of th method.

Quote:
Original post by TheKrust
In ::your oppinion::, scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it to implements shadow volumes when going from the SDK sample.

so anyway...