[SDL,OpenGL,C++]The next step? Edited what game to choose?

Started by
10 comments, last by skwee 16 years, 4 months ago
Well after successfully loaded and rendered MD2 model, experienced with OpenGL lighting and fog, I got the results as it can be seen in the pictures: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us But what now? I thought about writing a renderer for a ready game like Quake2 or Half-Life, but I don't know what format they use and is it hard to render those formats [although i shouldn't be afraid of hard things, MD2 wasn't easy too but i did it]. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. [Edited by - s.kwee on November 23, 2007 4:27:23 PM]

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

Advertisement
Start making it as object-oriented as you can, learn other techniques (reflections, using the stencil buffer, etc.), learn to use shaders, and then make something out of it!

Best of luck!
FlyingIsFun1217
Well this one was wrote on pure C++ includes classes and etc.
Hmm about learning new things, its always good but i prefer to start project and while i do it learn new things like was in this one, I wanted to add lighting i read about it, i wanted fog i read about it, i wanted to render sprite i read about it.
I want idea for project not super hard but project that will push me to learn new things.

Thanks again.

[Edited by - s.kwee on November 24, 2007 6:41:44 AM]

Well I think writing a renderer for a ready game would be a nice challenge and experience. The problem I don't know what game to take.. Can some one recommend me and to tell what file format they use for maps and models?
Rendering MD2 wont teach me anything, I want to try another format, also format that I'll be able to use Vertex Arrays with them (cause as I understood MD2 wasn't designed to use with vertex arrays). I though about Half-life 2 but couldn't find any info about .MDL. Any suggestions for some games that I can make renderer for them?
Of course I'm open for your suggestion about another projects.
Thanks a lot.

Well, what kind of game have you spent the most time playing in the past?

FlyingIsFun1217
Well I played doom, quake, half-life/CS.
But this is not the point. The point is to get knowledge from what I'm going to do and not remake the games I played.

Quote:Original post by s.kwee
But this is not the point. The point is to get knowledge from what I'm going to do and not remake the games I played.

It is though, in a way. What point is there to writing a game that you will not yourself enjoy? At best you will write a crappy game...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by s.kwee

It is though, in a way. What point is there to writing a game that you will not yourself enjoy? At best you will write a crappy game...

I'm not on level where I can choose what to do and what not to do. The main purpose for me now is learning, and believe I'll enjoy as soon as I'll load my first level, model that could move in this level, enemies and etc. It doesn't really matter what game to "remake". Doom is almost the same style as Quake and the same style as Half-life. The story line is different, the action is the same, you go, you kill monsters, you collect weapon, you move levels, you kill the bose and game done.
I thought about remaking Half-Life (well when I say remake I mean writing a renderer for maps and models, add few goals, few monsters, add actions and this is all. I'm not really want to rewrite games that was made by an experienced programmers for few years) but I couldn't find info about MDL file format.
Then I though about quake but I already did MD2 loader (no point to do it again, it wont teach me, just copy and paste code) and I don't know what format their map stored in.
So I ask your advice and help. I sure some of you did something like this and can help me. Also as I said I'm open to another suggestions.
Thanks a lot :)

I think you are missing the point. Nobody here has gotten to where they are because they have done a bunch of tedious tasks that they absolutely hated (well, maybe ;)); they got to where they are because they had an interest in doing something, and set out and learned how to do it.

Same goes for you. There is not really a set standard of what you need to know to be considered a good graphics programmer. If you want to be considered a good programmer, you need to find inspiration.

If you like Quake, great! Start implementing all of the different things you need to into a graphics engine so that you can create something like it. Once you have done that, start refining it. Make it better than Quake!

That kind of thinking is what keeps the best programmers up there ;)

FlyingIsFun1217
Well maybe you right.
Anyway can some one tell me what formats for models and levels different games use? And if possible info about this formats. I looked for MDL but couldn't find.
Thanks a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement