Am I the only one?

Started by
111 comments, last by ApochPiQ 16 years, 3 months ago
Who loves strongly typed languages and static polymorphism? Maybe it's just my limited exposure, but I get this feeling that the trends are all towards weakly typed languages like C#, Java, and Ruby. Strongly typed languages turn run time errors into compile time errors thus reducing the chance that you will even see an error. They can also enforce stricter rules on the usage of an interface (or function/method) that avoid errors in understanding, implementation, and usage. I am all for more descriptive (not more syntactically verbose, I like brackets over "end if") languages. The more descriptive the language, the more clear its meaning. When programmers understand the meaning of the code they are much less likely to misuse it. More descriptive languages also tend to give the compiler more information which could be used for optimizations.
Programming since 1995.
Advertisement
I'm not sure why you think C# and Java are weakly typed languages.
Quote:Original post by jimblackler
I'm not sure why you think C# and Java are weakly typed languages.

Indeed.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Because they have a type called "Object" there is no such thing as a generic object.
Programming since 1995.
So what your saying is if someone made a class called Object in C++ and derived all of his classes from it, C++ would no longer be strongly typed?

I think you really don't have any idea of how C# or Java operate. Just because there is a base class called Object doesn't mean the compiler doesn't know the type of the object when it is instantiated.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of strong OO and good design, but...

I'm one of those programmers who loves low level control, I, personally, would love my personal language to have types, but not great enforcement of them. Why? Because I tend to code in a safe way.

My main example of this is flexibility. I will commonly need an object that's been passed to a function to be ambiguous. While polymorphism and inheritance may work well here, I'll sometimes just have the Base class have a Type specifier and function pointers. No virtual table if/then lookups, just straight functionality.

Now, I am very, VERY analytical of my code. Before compiling, I will read through it quite a few times and make sure everything will plop together as it should. While this opens the door for my own error, I find that this error often doesn't come about, and it's worth the extra functionality I'm getting for those occasional errors.

Now, when I'm working in a team/group, OO & strict types ftw. As many of the other programmers have different ideas and feels to how things should be, it's nice to have a common standard that you can rely on everyone using.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
Because they have a type called "Object" there is no such thing as a generic object.

What do you consider to be a strongly typed language then? Obviously you can't mean C or C++ since they have the void * type.
You aren't alone - I go out of my way to create code that will fail at compile time rather than run time wherever possible whenever I'm using C++ (altough you're talking about static vs dynamic typing, not strong vs weak).

Don't underestimate the power of dynamically typed languages like Python though - there are many things that you can do in a 5 line python script that you'd be crazy to attempt in C++.

I thought like you, until I started using these languages.

I like the idea of static typed languages. There are times you want static typing, and times you don't. Static typed languages have a lot of boiler plate code you have to generate which have nothing to do with the program logic at all. I find that I write more logic (not more code! often less than the equivalent C++) in such a language given the same period of time.

Hence my current setup, C++ for my "static types", exported to Lua for all the game logic.

Yes, I have to have lots of run time error checking in case one of my C++ functions is called with ridiculous values from Lua. But you still have to do that in some places in C++.

Like everything I suppose, there is a time and a place for both types of languages.

[edit: confusion]

[Edited by - rip-off on November 23, 2007 10:50:36 AM]
Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski
So what your saying is if someone made a class called Object in C++ and derived all of his classes from it, C++ would no longer be strongly typed?

C++ isn't strongly typed. If I write a function that expects a char and I give it an integer, my program will compile without error. In a strongly typed language, if you write a function that expects a char as an argument, it will take a char and only a char.

Quote:Original post by SiCrane

What do you consider to be a strongly typed language then? Obviously you can't mean C or C++ since they have the void * type.

OCaml and Haskell are both strongly typed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement