acess databases for games????? then give me a dose of sql.

Started by
7 comments, last by TheTroll 16 years, 5 months ago
while exploring the many project types in visual studio 2005, i come across the database project. i clicked on it and saw the few databases supported, and i was surprised to find the word access. Thus this thread and the the question " can u use acess databases for online games written in c++". if not then, i want to put the sql server to use. how the hell do i create an sql database. please dont link me to some tutorial that tells you how to manipulate a database in c++ without telling me how to create one.
Advertisement
Yes, you can use an access database for an online video game in C++.
thank you, i love you.( now i dont have to enter queries through command prompt.)
btw, the project that gets created, what does it do.
you could use sqlite or sql compact database wich you can give around with your app without setup.

access sometimes works, sometimes not, on a pc.. (versioning _shouldn't_ be a problem today, but it's access.. :))
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Actually if you can Access depends on what you planning. Without know more we really can't answer the question with any real realism.

theTroll
im planning to make a database that records players names,date of birth etc.
when they sign up (and record their progress and stuff).
the question i asked second was,in my game solution after creating a database project,what is to be done in it. i want to manipulate the data in c++, so why make the database project.
How large is the database going to be? How time dependent is the information going to be? Will you need to get information as they move or will it all be loaded when they log in? How many users do you expect to be playing at a time?

theTroll
yes , all the data will be loaded at game start. Only changes happen when u collect objects or increase in level.

for starter, i want 16 players.(per game room)
Then Access should be just fine.

theTroll

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement